• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Waterwing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

info@janploeg.n

Oct 12, 2007
Hello Everyunderwaterbody,
Looong time ago I posted something about the waterwing I have been developing since 1992. There is no end to this. It is an ongoing process, but it does have its landmarks. The idea is to get your hands (&arms) to contribute to your speed underwater by dodging resistance factors that are kin to all (known to me) ways of other underwater arm advancement. Until last year I used arched constructions with rubber sails, both hands basically in the middle, tilting it down, thereby pushing water backwards und from down tilting it up, heaving it and thereby pushing water backwards as well. By lowering and heaving the waterwing you go forward. Working with stretched out arms seems to be a heavy job, especially with your breath held. What actually makes it a lot more easy is that at virtually any speed the tilt results in the oncoming water to either make the wing glide down or up. So you can dose the force with which you push down or heave as little or as much as you choose. Though the wing improved by trial and error progression I left the arched concept and made a wing based on the pectoral fins of a humpback whale. This shape proves to have the best relation between lift and thrust. I made it out of plywood and weighed it down with lead in the middle, so much that the buoyancy is just a bit positive, so I can find it, if need be, back at the surface and don't spend too much force on diving down. The weight in the middle makes it very maneouvrable. I swim with a monofin, as you need good propulsion to make the waterwing work well. I have been swimming with friendly wild dolphins in Ireland (Fungi and Dusty) for 17 years now and this has been very inspiring, not only to the development of the waterwing, but also to the website I have been running on Dusty since 2002. The name of my site is 'Dolphin Address' (like in 'addressing a dolphin (and vice versa) and it can also be read as 'Dolphin, a dress') and the address is Dolfijnen, kunst, watervleugel, Ierland en Jan Ploeg . There you can find extensive information on the arch-styled waterwing and the humpback waterwing. To my very surprise nearly nobody ever got the idea to involve arm strength in underwater propulsion. Now I can imagine to build a waterwing as sophisticated as the humpback wing is not an overnight job. But you can get a rough idea by just using a plank, about a meter wide and about 30 cm long (from the swimming perspective). But, like I said in the beginning, it's an ongoing process. A long time ago a Dutch guy by the name of Jelle Andriessen (Nijmegen) showed me a wing shaped construction that changed shape when under pressure. I would very much like to have the precise construction for this, so I can make a wing that when starting to swim has a broad surface that diminishes when going faster. If you know (or are) Jelle, please contact me: info@janploeg.nl

Last edited:
Hello and it is a nice idea what you are trying to do. Just one thing came to my mind it is not about the material which will change under pressure i am just wondering if you can make a paddle type wing which will need less effort to use with hands( Like the cycle but wing will be attached)...

All best in your project...

Hi Saleh,
I'm not sure what you mean. When you paddle you will have to make a recovery stroke and this will rather create resistance when done under water. If by 'cycle' you mean something revolving, I think there should be a fixed axis. I once tried to swim with the waterwing sawn in two halves, connected by rings. This did not work at all because you take away the leverage you have with the full wing. It just takes too much power to like paddle with two halves. I hope I understood and understandably answered your remark.

Nice to see you posting here, Jan. I know your Waterwing from earlier, and have it listed also on my website since a long time. Indeed, hand propulsion is not very popular. It has some good reasons (i.e. not permitted in competitions, not very practical at spearing, etc.), but it is sure that it may add more power and better maneuverability. As far as I know, Ted Ciamillo, the author of the Lunocet currently tests a wing with his hi-tech monofin. I do not know whether he saw your Waterwing, but you may try contacting him. He may be interested in cooperation, and he has incredible possibilities as for manufacturing technology goes, so may be able to implement your idea with variable wing size.

Wishing good luck, and please keep us informed about the progress!

Hi Trux,
Thanks for your supportive information. I agree having your hands full does not always go together with other activities, but I'm very entirely into swimming with the wildfriendly dolphin Dusty in west-Clare, Ireland, and she loooves it (and so do I her). I read about Ted Ciamillo's Lunocet and I'd like to exchange thoughts with him. Do you, or anyone else reading this, know his email address?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT