• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weekend in Coffs aka the shark incident

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shadowkiller

Digital Hunter
Jul 30, 2002
I was away two weekends aga, up in Coffs harbour, some 9.5hrs drive from Wollongong. I and 3 other guys dived the Solitary Islands, which had warm, blue water and many, many fish. Awesome diving. Except for the shark attack...

Water was very warm, but very murky on the Sunday. Saturday we had 20m viz. I saw Cobia, Spanish Mackerel, various Whaler Shark species and many, many Eagle Rays (see photo)! This area has a mixture of temperate and tropical fish, so seing the fish we get in Wollongong, swimming alongside a fully grown tropical Batfish was awesome.

In a cave in 18m I found some Soldierfish, which looked awesome! Pity it was so deep I only had time for one pic. I wish I could hold my breath for longer!

As for the shark incident:

I was diving to 4-5m to photograph some Gold-spot Surgeons when I heard a boom, and straight away knew it was either a shark or big Cod. I had heard the same noise up in QLD before when sharks accelerate quickly. About a second later something smashed into the point of my shoulder. Hard. 2 days later it still hurt. I raced for the surface, took a breath and looked around, to find the shark racing up at me, pec fins down and jaws open. My gun was still hanging of my belt, so I raised my camera up over my head (must protect the precious camera at all cost) and shoved my fin into the sharks face. It veered off, showing it was female, and then I realised it was a Grey Nurse Shark, a supposedly placid species, which is protected in Australia. I relaxed a little then.

Mistake.

She was now at the surface, back humping and pectoral fins down, with the upper jaw and teeth pushed out of its head. She turned and came at me again, and this time slammed into the tip of my gun (which I was now holding) which gouged a little groove in the skin, between the nostrils. She then disappeared into the whitewash caused by swell hitting the nearby shore. I still dont remember grabbing my gun off my belt. Lucky it was unloaded. I was shaken, but not stirred, and got the camera ready again, but no luck, the little shit wasn't coming back. ;-)

About an hour later I saw it again, some 100m away, sitting in a shallow gutter I was checking for Jewfish. There was whitewash over the top of the gully, and it was only about 4-5m deep. This time it was really placid. Still, I wasnt going to attempt a pic.

Later on Michael (Tuna), shot a 8kg Jewfish a short distance away, but never saw the shark when he was fighting his fish. Weird.

All in all a pretty good weekend.

pic: Pretty self explanatory really... the Grey Knifefish pic is one of very, very few ever taken of this species. They live in the whitewash around islands and estuaries, and never leave the top 1-2 meters, making them hard to see or photograph. Luckily I also speared one from the school (for the Museum collection), otherwise it may not been ID'ed...

The shark incident has been reported to the Australian shark attack file as it is one of very few confirmed attacks (well, bump really) by a GNS on a diver.

Attachments

• Aetobatus narinari - Spotted Eagle Ray 01.jpg
    Aetobatus narinari - Spotted Eagle Ray 01.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 227
  • Bathystethus cultratus - Grey Knife Fish 01.jpg
    Bathystethus cultratus - Grey Knife Fish 01.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Myripristis murdjan - Crimson Soldierfish 01.jpg
    Myripristis murdjan - Crimson Soldierfish 01.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Platax teira - Teira Batfish 01.jpg
    Platax teira - Teira Batfish 01.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Tuna's Jewie.jpg
    Tuna's Jewie.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 258
awsome story. Somehow I never picture nurse sharks as aggressive although Ive only encounted one :)

Cool story, glad to see youre still alive and kicking, as it could probably have been worse. Dont you find youre reaction when you encounter a shark in the water strange. I always thought I would start kicking and screaming like a wild thing in the water if I was ever threatened by one of these creatures. Until the day I actually got buzzed by a great white. I just signalled the boat, which was allready on its way to pick me up, as our skipper has allready seen the GWS circling me, and stuck my head back in the water with my gun as a barrier between us when I saw the fin turning towards me. The boat pulled in between us actually bumping the shark away and I got pulled into the boat. The adrenalin rush afterwards is difficult to describe, you get the shakes and start laughing and talking all at the same time. :)

The best reaction was from the guys once we were all back in the boat...

'Did you get a photo?"

Somewhere along the line I got a rep as a fanatic photographer... rofl

One other thing: The muscle below my shoulder blade still hurts! Its as bad a cricket ball injury, which can take weeks to heal if it bruises deep tissue. That shark got me good! :eek:

Shadowkiller said:
Somewhere along the line I got a rep as a fanatic photographer... rofl

I should think so trying to hold your camera out of harms way :) .

But no I didnt the vis wasnt that great and I dont dive with a camera, as I dont have one yet. I was lucky enough to only come away with a good story and I must say quite a experience.

nice pics shadow. Those knife fish, do you have the scientific name? I have never seen anything like them.

Great pics and story. A pic of a nurse attack would've been awesome - I have to admit. Best I've managed is getting charged by Carp. Here's one just breaking off :)

(Glad you are mostly intact - saving the camera is a strange, but understandable, reaction :))

Last edited:
land shark said:
awsome story. Somehow I never picture nurse sharks as aggressive although Ive only encounted one :)

In the US the Grey Nurses (Carcharias taurus) are called Sand Tigers, in South Africa they call 'em Raggytoothed Sharks.

The true Nurse sharks are more of a tropical species. Quite placid when Ive seen them up in Queensland.

In that case a mate of mine got attacked by a raggy, about three weeks ago, also no injuries but it came at him three or four times, teeth pushed forward and fins down. Each time more aggresive than the last. He pushed it off with his gun and the thing finally decided to let him be. Quite scary he says, also he didnt suspect it from a raggy. Part of the 'fun' I guess. :)

nice pictures and story. Glad to see that you got away with nothing more than a bruise and a nice story to tell.

Well... its not quite a bruise.

It still hasn't stopped hurting when I twist my back, so I went to the doc today for an x-ray.

The verdict: Cracked rib.

Stoopid shark... :ko

what a story! I never would have thought a grey nurse could be so aggressive... do you think she might have been pregnant or otherwise protecting her young or something?

congrats on the pics too , great quality.

so mr fanatic photographer can you show us a photo of your bruised shoulder/cracked rib as well? just for the sake of science of course

Missed the last post here...

Nah, dont have pics of my back. The again, there are very few pics of me anyway! :crutch

The GNS was probably below sexual maturity age. Hard to tell sometimes. If there were young in the area, I didnt see any, and besides, GNS dont do maternal care. A lot of shark species practice cannabalism.

And GNS aggression is nothing new. Ask any South African diver, or any Aussie spearo who has dived Fish Rock, the Sols or South West Rocks..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT