• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weighting question seems a lot

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiveHacker

Jun 17, 2020
I am 75kg = about 170 pounds or so. I wear a rob Allen stinger suit. I live far from the ocean so it’s been difficult experimenting with weight and buying them too (I was way too light on weights for a long time).

I finally came to the weight of 4 kg on my belt!! I dive up to only about 20 feet down. 4 kg seemed like a lot to me and I have been trying to figure why it is so much, again only wearing a Lycra suit. I do have cheap plastic fins that could make a difference.

One question I have could it be the volume of my lungs that is throwing me off? Or is 4kg more reasonable than I am thinking?

Thanks for any input on this I don’t have any dive buddies to bounce this stuff off of.

And I am diving in ocean water btw.

It sounds like you arwe overthinking the problem. If you need 4kg, then that's how much you need.

Reactions: DiveHacker
Some people are naturally more buoyant than others, including me. Don't let others tell you that "you have too much weight". The rule of thumb is to be neutral at 1/2 the depth that you are diving. Salt water, wetsuit thickness, your own buoyancy will all effect this. You just have to figure it out by trial and error.

It sounds like you arwe overthinking the problem. If you need 4kg, then that's how much you need.
Agreed, it is what it is, don't worry about it. I need so little weight in the ocean and sooo much in the pool. Given one value estimating the other is useless in my case even accounting for differences in depth of neutral buoyancy and salt vs fresh, etc.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT