• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weighting Question...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

igoswoop

Jun 13, 2006
Hi,

I'm new to spearfishing and freediving in general. I have most of my equipment sorted out for my first trip but need some advice for the last few loose ends. I will be hunting from shore mostly in the Central to South Florida area in saltwater and will occasionally hunt in the Florida Keys. The water temps are quite warm here so for my standard suit, I'm planning on getting the 1.5mm OMER Dahlak Mimetic. I weigh appx 170lbs. How much weight should I start with to be on the safe side? I also will use my 3mm suit when the temperature drops a little but I wanted to get an idea how much someone around my size would wear with 1.5mm and also with a 3mm respectively?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
i need an answer for this too :cool: just to get an idea. ill probably end up going to a dive shop for the proper amount

To get an idea for weight
in fresh water with a 5/4/3 mm suit at about 170lbs with gear, youll prob use 12 lbs

in salt water same setup will prob need 16
if you use a 5mm Omer suit meaning farmer john/with shorty suit youll need about 18lbs

for your setup with about a 2mm suit your only going to want about 14/16
ideally just bring spare weight in small increments to adjust once youre in the water, if youre a strong swimmer you can always go negatively bouyant to enable you dive without much effort but then its all effort to get back to the surface, personally i prefer to work getting down and have an easier time on the way up when there is less oxygen

for igo..

i have the 3mm omer mim suit.. weigh about 220 and im about to use 7lbs. Started with 5 (2lb and 3 1lb's), but it seemed a bit too much work to get down that first 10ft. I got another 2lb to add and hopefully that'll do it. as cf says :p its nicer to have the easy ride on the way up. thats a far cry off from the 10+ but im still working on it.
I guess the one thing i hate is too much weight at the surface, makin me feel like im gettin pulled down or have to push my hips up to stay horizontal while swimming.. so im buildin up slow.

for igo..

i have the 3mm omer mim suit.. weigh about 220 and im about to use 7lbs. Started with 5 (2lb and 3 1lb's), but it seemed a bit too much work to get down that first 10ft. I got another 2lb to add and hopefully that'll do it. as cf says :p its nicer to have the easy ride on the way up. thats a far cry off from the 10+ but im still working on it.
I guess the one thing i hate is too much weight at the surface, makin me feel like im gettin pulled down or have to push my hips up to stay horizontal while swimming.. so im buildin up slow.

thanks for the tip. i am around the same weight as you, and am also using a ~3mm wetsuit.. so its nice to have a basic idea. ;)

I'm a little puzzled. I'm getting some mixed answers here so moderators please chime in if you have time...

7lbs is HALF the weight that was suggested a few posts back, and thats with a heavier diver than me and a 3mm OMER suit. I'm planning on using the 1.5mm most of the time and 12-14 seems like an awful lot. Just nervous that's all...

I weigh 160 lbs and use a 4/3 suit in salt water with 10 lbs of weight. Im positive till about 10-15ft then become neutral. I agree with most of the other guys posting that its better to fight a little to get down and have an easier trip back up. Also being positively buoyant for at less 10ft is also a safety thing in case of shallow water black out (you float up instead of sinking). Also just a plug... remeber to dive with a buddy, one up one down, and always have a dive knife.

Hope this helps,

Dave

just to add to mine since there is some confusion...i dont know exactly when i am neutral. I dive anywhere from 10-35ft.. depending... i just wear what feels good and what i feel makes it easiest to get down, swimmin around and up.

if you want solid depths for neutral then id have to get back to you.. but i think the difference is just what people feel best with.

if you think the 12-14 is a lot.. then go for 5, 7, perhaps even 10 and try it out. see how you feel. i would say even up to 20 you'd at least be able to swim (so i would hope if you're diving) so if i wouldnt be nervous. just try smaller and put more.. or try that and take off less.

i would deff start with less and then go more till you are comfortable. its really going to be what you are comfortable with, what you dont want to do is be to overly weighted and soon as you step off you sink like a rock. i know that when i scuba dive with a full 7mm suit, and all dive i use 22 in fresh and 31 in saltwater. but again its a personal preferance on how comfortable you are with what.

ok finally to find someone around your weight i weigh about 180 on a good day and i dive with nothing but boardshorts but when its cold or i plan on being out for a long time i use a 3/2 full. i use 6 lbs both times i have 3-2lb weights and it seems to work well for me.just a quick question for everyone when i equilize it seems like i have longer down time than if i dont equilize. i wanted to know if anyone else has this same thing going on. back to the general question start off with 6lbs and if that isnt enough move up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT