• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

weightlifting and freediving/spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
i have a few querstions regarding the effects of weight training on bottom time. i mostly spearfish, so im not aiming for record times.

but does adding muscle mass affect oxygen consumption? and in what manner? also are there any specific exercises (such as apnea sit-ups) that could be incoporated into my routine (3 days a week with-one day one the next off full body workout)???

thank you and all your help will be greatly appreciated.

This is a recurring topic and it crops up so frequently that it should be a FAQ.

Here's a slide-show that you might find interesting.
http://appliedexerciselab.tamu.edu/KINE 410/Conditioning for Anaerobic and Aerobic Power.ppt

The prevailing opinion in the forums seems to be that weight training may help for active apnea (e.g. fast dynamics) and may harm statics (due to higher base matabolism), but there's a lot of conflicting anecdotal data.

If you find that you aren't making adequate progress, then you can knock off the weight training for a little while -- it doesn't take long to lose a lot of the gains :(. If your apnea efforts suddenly take off, then you'll know ...

Reactions: mishu1984
wow! thanks for the quick response! that is some ery valuable info. thank you very much. some karma going your way!

Hi Mishu
Im probably going to step on someones toes here again but here goes and I apologise in advance.
I think that one needs to train more in an aerobic and anaerobic capacity rather than concentrate on weights (which will undoubtedly make you stronger) do you have access to a rowing machine or an excersise bicycle? If so this type of routine may be of use:
Aerobic. warm up then one minute flat out exersise (have to pace this so you can last a minute at the end you should be starting to cramp) followed by five minutes of active rest. repeat five times. do this 4 times a week.
Anaerobic. 20 seconds flat out (Just go for it you should be crucified at the end) followed by one minute of active rest. repeat as above.
Active rest is to walk round this uses the muscles to return blood back to the heart (important!!)
I feel this type of training (OK amoungst other excersises) would be more benificial than weights because for bottom time our bodies use oxygen to survive ie burn sugars in respiration (aerobic resperation) but once the oxygen is depleted what does our body do then? It respires anaerobicaly (with a by product lactic acid causing cramps), I feel that this is an important form of training to increase this type of fittness especially for free divers rather than the static guys cos when you need your anerobic fittness most is when your surfacing after a long dive.
Obviously a well balanced all round training program is requiered but you get the jist of what Im saying hopfully
Ali
:)

dont worry alison..i was not offended by your post.
i do have access to a row machine and excersice bicycle, and i use both of them for a combined total of an hour, but also i weightlift, you know to be able to pull those bands and basically to just work my stress away. i have a fast temper so i find that working out is a productive outlet :D i do a combiantion of strength training and cardio work. about 3 hours total daily.

and i just anted to know how it would affect bottom time and everything :D

Reactions: Rolando
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT