• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weights for Freediving and Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Salehthefish

Free Diver
Jul 6, 2008
When i used to go spearfishing in places less than 10 meters i used to use 8 kgs weight and after taking my AIDA 2 stars freediving course it dropped to 4 kgs since we dived to 17 meters. The way our instructor taught us to know about our weights was by completely exhaling while still in water in vertical position and check if our face will go underneath the water then we have to reduce the weight till we exhale maximum and our face still on top of water. If i will be applying this in shallow water like in 8 meters depth i will not be able lay down on the sand at that depth... am i going to put my 8 kgs while spearfishing in shallow water? Or is there any way to adapt myself with 4 kgs weight at shallow water?

Thanks for the reply in advance...

Saleh

I reckon you'll need to put on 8Kg (I use 10kg/22lb with my 5mm wetsuit) - but I look forward to reading other suggestions and ideas.

When diving in 10 meters there is no big need for full lungs. I'd suggest trying about 6k and adjusting lung volume to be neutral on the bottom. What you lose on bottom time you make up in recovery time, after you get accustomed. This works best when you dive in varying depths.

Reactions: Salehthefish
Thanks Mr X and Bill for your reply. My question if i will be using no full lungs am i going to face lung squeeze at depth maximum 15 meters?

Lung squeeze is possible. It depends how much air you let out. If you let out half your air on the surface, you will be about residual volume when you get to 15 meters. You will also be way to heavy on the bottom. You will only need to let out a little or no air to be neutral at 15. In my case, full lungs, 5mm suit and 3 kilos makes me neutral at 15 and that's with 20%+ body fat.
To find out, descend to 15 meters with full lungs and exhale until neutral, into a measuring container (a 2 litre pop bottle?) multiply the result by 2 1/2 OR bring it to the surface to do the measuring and you'll know how much to let out. Way easier to skip the container thing and do a few trial and error dives.

Bill is correct in saying that reducing lung volume is effective in reducing buoyancy. I’ve used this approach from time to time spearing when I’ve been set up for deeper water and need to dive shallower. What I think is simpler though is to used two different weighting setups for two different purposes. For example, when I’m training for depth I’m diving in a 3 or 5 mil suite. In the 3 mil I use one or two kilos, depending on what I am doing. When I'm spearing in the same suite I'm using 4 kilos when diving in a shallow range- say around 15- m and 3 kilos when im diving a bit deeper. The thing I think is important is to set you weighting for what you are planning to do and also being aware of the techniques that bill is talking about so that you can uses them if you need to. The only thing to be careful of when diving on partial exhales is that you have less potential bottom time. If you chose to use this approach take some time getting used to it.

All the best,
Dean

Thank you guyz ur answers were so appreciated and helpfull... I will be carefully trying to adjust my air amount in lungs depending on my depth, because i aim is to decrease the amount of weight on my body... Usually i am using 8 kgs for 3.5 mm 2 pieces wetsuit i will try it with 4 kgs...

Saleh

in the shallows make sure you are facing the current - stretch your legs & cross one over the other if you are having a hard time sticking to the bottom.

Weight consideration for spearfishing is a bit different than that one for freediving.
For spearfishing in shallows (less than 5m) I prefer to be a neutral at surface.
When working at 10m, I like to be neutral at 5m.
When working at 20m, I like to be neutral at 7-8m.
For blue water hunting, I try to be a bit heavy (but not too much) at my working depth, as I am attached to the buoy.
For deep fishing (say ~30m) I would ideally have additional weight attached to the buoy (at 10-15m rope length) that pulls me down through the first bit of length during the drop.

Your weight is basically function of your working depth and fishing strategy you have chosen for that day. What you are really trying to do is to minimise sound and movement under the water, while maximising safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: devondave
This is fantastic! Thanks guys, my friend and I are starting and with no real training, so to speak, this is something we have been wondering. I weigh 82Kg's, 12% body fat and am 6'2", I was thinking of starting out at about 5-6Kg's of weight.

Thought or suggestions?

Edited: will be spearfishing in depths of about 4-8meters in a 5mm wetsuit.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Ultimately, you are the one who will decide how much weight is comfortable for you. I would suggest you take 10kg with you. On the data given, I assume you might need 8kg, but it is always good to have an extra kg, in case you need it.

Reactions: Salehthefish
As octopus said but not to misunderstand add first 6 or 8 kgs and check then add the weight if needed u can keep them on ur buoy or boat don't forget ur buddy ...
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: octopus
THe weight you carry is mostly influenced by the depth you are aiming at. If I am fishing on the depth of 3m (+/- 2) I will put on 9kg, if I plan to spend my time around 10 m-I will leave 6/7 kg on. But my usual depth is deeper than 17m and I use 4/5 kg. Its not easy to kick at first (I have a new 5 mm suit) but I feel totally free "down there" and kicking up is done in a very relaxed way. But I totally agree with people who said that you have to try to find whats best for you.
PS: I am 6.4, 195 lbs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT