• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weights. The untold math?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rmccann

Mar 16, 2001
hi all,

probably seen this question a hundred times. In Fresh Water (canada) and in Salt Water for a thin guy like me 6ft, 143lbs how much weight should I be packing. I did resort diving in the past and they just gave me a random weight belt and in my in-class training I tried various belts but had no clue . 10lbs? 20lbs?

thanks

------------------
Diving Newbie. All apologies in advance

The key is to do a buoyancy workshop and spend some time adjusting your weights - this question is the same as how long is a piece of string.
Just remember if you are diving with alum. tanks it is better to weight check at the end of a dive with about 35 bar or 500psi in your tank , empty your bcd take a full breath of air and you aim to float at eye level relaxed
Cheers
Dr Scuba

------------------
Dr Scuba aka Mal James
Dive Deep Dive Safe
Deeper Blue
Managing Editor
Firetalk 918217

Hey there diving newbie....there are of course many variables -specifically regarding what amount of wetsuit (or drysuit) you are wearing, and what tank you are using. However, I would say that in Canada (cold water 7 to 15 Celsius), wearing a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit and using an aluminum 80 tank, you're probably going to wear in the neighbourhood of 20 lbs of lead. Give or take 2 or 3 lbs. Once you have some dives under your belt (no pun intended), you will probably be able to dive with less. It's better to be a little overweighted than underweighted for a few reasons, which I won't go into. In warm tropical oceans, I recommend that you wear at least a full 3mm suit( I'm skinny too, and get cold in 83F water). Usually you would also be supplied with an aluminum 80 tank. Wear around 10 to 12 lbs until you get comfortable, then you might dive wth less by the end of your trip. Or better yet, throw the scuba gear away and freedive! Just kidding...good diving to you. Erik

Hi All

When I did my OWD I was told to use 9kg (5mm wetsuit and weight 70kg). I thought nothing of it untill I did my AOWD. Doing Peak Performance Bouyancy test I only needed 6kg with the same gear! It made a lot off difference. So make sure you do a bouyancy test at the begining and if time allows at the end of a dive.

Budge

rmccann said:
... thin guy like me 6ft, 143lbs how much weight should I be packing...
Another thing to bear in mind, being skinny does necessarily mean you are not fat. I am quite large but we were offered medical checks at work which included body fat measurement. A male colleague who is very thin, almost aneorexic looking, was shocked when his body fat measurements came out about twice as high as mine...I worked out a lot & he never exercised - even so, I was a little surprised too.

Mr. X said:
Another thing to bear in mind, being skinny does necessarily mean you are not fat.
I agree that it is almost impossible to guess someone's buoyancy by looking at them, or knowing their height and weight. I am thin (174cm, 56kg) and I need a lot of weight. Sometimes other freedivers are concerned to see me with so much weight, but I am always ok with it. Even without a suit I am quite buoyant.

Lucia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT