• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weird Fish...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PeteyH

Jul 11, 2005
Looks like a conger-shark to me:

After seeing this rather strange footage of a 'prehistoric' shark, known as the frill shark, I'm left here wondering what the hell is still out there that we haven't discovered yet...

Perhaps some sort of mutant spider crab-mullet or something (like a gurnard but with claws...)..?!?

Anyway, if anyone has any pictures or experiences of an encounter with an abnormal fish or crustacean, this is the place to post them!!

It'll be interesting to see how many 3 clawed crabs (we've got one in the Fowey Aquarium, Cornwall), albino and abnormal coloured fish are seen out there!

:friday Happy Hunting,:friday

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly - I think it looks like a fake :naughty. Look at the way it took no notice at all of the diver and the way it moved so clumsily in a straight (motor driven) line. I think someone is having a laugh.

There is some weird things in that there sea!
I have heard rumour of Tuna that can and will actually eat humans, can't see it myself, they look so innocent

Attachments

• killer tuna.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 164
Yes it died when it was captured, the story is knocking about on a couple of other threads from yesterday

Honestly - I think it looks like a fake :naughty. Look at the way it took no notice at all of the diver and the way it moved so clumsily in a straight (motor driven) line. I think someone is having a laugh.

nah im pretty sure it is a geniune specimen... i saw the same footage on BBC news. And i think they said it is usually found at around 800meters... so im not suprised it doesnt look too happy

Huw

its all fun and games until the conger got carried away and jumed the poor nurse

I was on an trawler doing deepwater trials west of Ireland in 2003 and we caught one of these creatures, it wasn't very big maybe 6ft long but it was extremely flexible and had those weird tri-cuspid teeth.
I gave it to the Irish Museum of Natural History in Dublin.
They are extremely strange looking sharks though and very primitive looking.

The Parancistrus aurantiacus Xanto (don't know the common name) is very strange-looking. I posted some links on this thread. It can be dark coloured, but if the water quality is very good it loses its colour until it is golden/peach coloured all over except the dark eyes.

Lucia

James
that's pretty much it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scW5v7FLWwI&NR]YouTube - the Deep Sea Frill Shark[/ame]

rofl

Reactions: naiad
There are many strange looking creatures in the very deep ocean. Think of the enviroment that the animals have to survive in.
Unknow creatures not many large ones the trawlers are dragging every square inch of the sea.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…