• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

West Wales Spearos?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ben

Apr 26, 2005
Anyone out there fishing......
Just started this season, wouldn't mind knowing if im the only one fishing this area?

ben

Just me then....... oh well....
Any other UK spearo forums where i can search for locals?

Just think all those tasty bass for me!

You could try Alison, she knows most of the spearos on the North Wales coast, she might know some from your end.

Speaking of Alison, where are you? I cannot pm you whats happened?? Are you not a mentor thing anymore?

There are a few spearo's based in Swansea. Myself and a few buddies go regularly over the summer months. Gower can be good but vis is often bad so we end up heading out to pembrokeshire alot of the time. Things start here around mid june - not usually many bass around before then, though I did get in yesterday for my first lobster of the season!

You'd be more than welcome to join us but making plans is difficult due to the sporadic nature of the vis - we usually know mid week if the weekend will be any good.

Cheers, Graham

Graham,

Hello....
Im based in Cardiff but spent almost every weekend in Pembrokshire. I must say that i disagree about the Bass situation. I have been catching some decent bass on rod and line now for several weeks and when i went out the weekend before last i saw several and shot my first! Visability is still really poor, but its getting better bit by bit. Fingers crossed the weathermen have got it wrong for this weekend as I have a new mask to try out!

ben

Pleased to hear that there are some bass around already - last couple of seasons I have made the effort to get in early but have ended up dissapointed. Maybe just bad luck on my part or maybe a good sign for this year - prob a bit of both! When the vis is there the Gower can be as good, maybe better than Pembrokeshire for Bass, and its a lot closer! If you want to meet up for a dive then send me a PM with your e-mail and I will let you know when/where I am next going.

Hi all, I am wanting to travel to Wales for this weekend and camp at The Gower (2 hours away from me) or Pembrokeshire (maybe a bit far for just the weekend).
I have stayed at Three Cliffs Bay before but not speared it. Is it any good? Or are there better locations on the Gower? I quite like the sandy beach scenario for the family with some acceptable beach amenities or even better the campsite almost on the beach!
All good advice greatly appreciated...
:hmm
Thanks

Do you know the post code of the campsite? If so try typing it into multi map and look at the arial photograph bit then scan the coast for long fingers of reef running out to sea :) Works for me!

Hi surfnspear (are you the artist formally know as morrisonB?)

There is a reef on the far left of three cliffs (looking out to sea) that has got potential. It gets exposed on a spring low but otherwise you can't see it. I've dived pobbles bay (the small bay the other side of the three cliffs) on high tide but didn't see much and haven't been back since but other people have caught fish there.

Oxwich point - the right hand side of oxwich bay, of which three cliffs is a sub bay is a good option if there is a bit of chop around that is spoiling the more exposed spots. There is a wreck there that is allways interesting to dive in and around. May be triggers there by now...

There are other spots on the Gower that are very good and I would be happy show them to you if you want to meet up for a dive. PM me if you want to meet up.

Only trouble is this weekend is looking a bit touch and go for vis. This bit of wind around at the moment has chopped the water up but there is no real swell so the vis will recover quickly. However there is forecast to be a couple of half arsed lows out in the atlantic which may or may not send in a bit of swell for the weekend. Will need to keep an eye on the pressure chart and swell maps and will know for sure wed/thur if gower is on. Does't look like there will be anything good enough for surfing however...

I was actually thinking that this weekend would be a good one to head to Pembrokeshire - it is just that little bit more robust to small swells and wind. Also spring tides - good for fish but not so good for vis on gower.

Feel free to ask if there is anything else i can help you with

cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham, thanks very much...they were all out of symbols to replace morisonb!rofl I do enjoy my surfing and spearing, as they complement
Is Pembrokeshire about another hour on from M4 Gower turn offs? Sounds like for vis it may well be worth it in the end, especially if there is a little more surf than expected.
Do you have any recommendations for campsite's down that way or even a spot Pembrokeshire spot I could search the vicinity for?

Thanks for the info.

If we head out we'll prob head to Manorbier near Tenby. Lovely spot & good fishing. Update tomorrow when i see latest charts

Cool.....I spotted that Manorbier as my potential prime candidate, especially after seeing the aerial shots of the reefs.

Might just have a winner there...I'm sure we can update later in the week.

Regards

Looks like there will definately be some sort of dribbly swell coming in over the weekend so I have already started making arrangements to head out to Manorbier. Prob won't be good enough for surfing but if its big enough to spoil the vis in pembrokeshire it will be big enough to ride - wheras on gower it can be too small to surf but still enough to spoil the vis - esp on spring tide (these are the days I hate!). PM you later with more

Graham, thanks for the West Wales spearo experience....we enjoyed seeing the fruits of your labour..;)

All in all a great place to fish and a good selection of fish to be had on low right up to the high near the cliffs. Amazing with the castle in the background.
We went in Sun around 7:30am and two good size mullet and a nice bass were taken. A few bass near the end of the dive now only have 8 lives left, but hey...they'll be seeing Graham later. Rowan and I also saw the biggest Wrasse (6lb-8lb)yet and he's just plain lucky we aint french!

Regards

Attachments

• DSC00810.jpg
    DSC00810.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC00816.jpg
    DSC00816.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT