• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Western Canada Regionals

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Please realize as you read this post, I'm just questioning my inner-self here, not meaning to slam you folks or your competition. I'm curious and even losing sleep over this.... do I understand this right? In free dive competition, if you were to reach your tag, and still black out, does that count? What about if you reach your tag, die, get resuscitated, does that count? Or, do you have to reach your depth tag, swim to the surface without dying or blacking out? What are the rules exactly? Don't get me wrong here, I love this sport and am going to take it to the next level.... (I think my next level is not blacking out or dying, I think...)but I am really wondering....what level do I want to quit at? I know, I know, it's something only I can decide. SHoot! What ever I decide.. I'm back in the water as soon as I can be.
Thanks for posting about how the competition went and the training you've gone through and where you are at with all of this right now. I've been following this thread waiting to hear how the pros are doing.

Sept 11

Hi people. I will answer all questions tommorrow. I am in shock and horrified by all the deaths in the US today, and think we should have a day of mourning.
My regrets to all who died, and all who are affected.
Erik Young

Last edited:
Some answers

Hi all, after yesterday's events in the US, I'm sure it's hard for us all to focus on our day to day things. I was elated about the weekend of competition, but this attack has made it all seem so trivial, which it is, compared to the suffering that people are going through now.
However, this is a forum about freediving, and I will do my best.
First, to juhaimmonen's question about my breathe-ups....for constant ballast, after I have done my warm up dives, I like to have 10 minutes. The first 8 minutes are a 3-3-8 pattern....inhale, hold, exhale. I exhale with a constriction in my throat to control the speed while keeping a relaxed diaphragm. This had something to do with me not hearing my countdown. At 2 minutes, I turn gently onto my back, and ditch my snorkel. At that point, I know I have lots of O2, so I change to a 4 inhale, 5 or 6 exhale, no hold at the top. At T-45 seconds, I change to a faster purge breath- 2.5 in, 2.5 out, approx. At T-30 , I would take my final breath, then pack 50 or 60 times, whatever it takes to get full. At the comp I got 30 shallow packs, not enough.
In static, after all my warm up, I take 8 minutes of 4-4-6, then change to the 4 in, 5 or 6 out, then purge breaths atT-30, followed by a final breath at T-10, plus 15 packs. That's it. Then relax as deeply as possible. I use different visualisations and mantras, depending on how I'm feeling.

Patrik, I missed you at the comp, I was really looking forward to seeing you again. Next time, ok?

Jero, I can't imagine anything that would turn me off freediving. I am glad you aked about the BO and the fear....I just knew that I was not going to make it. I can't describe it; I think it's just part of the awareness that we get as freedivers. I'm sure it's not quantifiable by science. I humbly state that I had no fear at all; I knew that I would be taken care of by Kirk and Steph, and I'm not scared of the blackout itself. I actually find the "coming to" part pleasant. Have you ever woken up in the morning and not known where you were until you opened your eyes? It's similar, but MUCH more intense. I'm not recommending that you seek it out, though! I remember looking around and wondering where the safety divers were, at 20 metres though! When I came to, I knew exactly what happened, and was just grateful that I was at the surface, if dissapointed by my performance. Later that night, more detail came back to me, as Eric F. said it would.....I remember seeing ghostly images around me....Kirk and Steph I assume, or maybe....? haha!

Fjohnson, your questions are not slamming at all; they are valid and important. In competition (AIDA), the diver must dive within 0 to +30 seconds during the countdown.The diver must retrieve the tag, and bring it to the surface with out a samba or black out. If you blackout, you get no points. If you grab the line more than once on the dive, you get no points. If you make the depth and do not bring up the tag, without a samba or BO, you lose 1 point. If you get the tag, but descend more than 2 metres deeper than your tag, you are DQ'd. If you do not make it to the tag, but turn early, you lose some points for the dive, presuming you do not samba or BO. If I had not blacked out, I still would have got some points towards the whole competition.
That's it for now, I hope everyone is well and good.
Warmly,
Erik Y.

More stuff

You might notice that I haven't said much about Eric Fattah's performances, and there are a few reasons. The main one is that I don't know Eric well enough to speak for him, and I am not qualified. The other thing is that it goes without saying that his performance in the 3 disciplines was incredible. We all expect him to be incredible and consistent, and he is in fact consistently incredible.
When you are the champion, everyone expects that you will be the champion, and nobody is really surprised when he does well. That's a great deal of pressure in itself, let alone the pressure that a champion puts on himself.
Eric is focused and passionate, which a champion must be, and friendly and forthcoming, which are traits that are not necessary for a champion. To me, they are as important as anything.
I will tell one story though. Eric's tag was at 65 metres, and that is what was written on the tag. When Eric reached the tag, he looked at it and saw that it said 59 metres. He tried to keep going past the saftey scubadiver on tri-mix (Hamish I think), but the diver yelled at him and pointed at the tag. Eventually Eric grabbed the tag, which when turned right-side up read 65 metres! Not too many of us are capable of stopping to argue with a tri-mix diver at -65 metres, let alone laugh about it later!
;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
Dear List,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and sound.

It was great to have Erik the Viking at our competition last weekend, although now it seems like a year ago after yesterday's events.

Erik kicked some serious butt with his static performance. He tied the Canadian record set by the other Eric, something I've been trying to beat in competition for a while. I guess listening to Gladiator all the time helps... :D

I learned a lot by talking with Erik. Everyone's approach to this sport is different and so it's always interesting to hear it. I think that once he has more experience in deep water and in competition he will become a force to be reckoned with in Canada or the UK, depending which country he decides to compete for.

Speaking of Eric Fattah's comfort at depth, he once did a somersault at -15m after a dive to -68m. We surfaced laughing like idiots. I sometimes have to remind myself that Eric has made several hundred dives to depths below -50m. He has earned his comfort in the depths. This is important in our progress as intermediate divers. A long time ago I decided I didn't want to jump from -50m to -55m to -60m to -65m....etc.... That's the way accidents happen. One PB never guarantees the next. It's sometimes hard to hold on to that perspective when I'm around Eric Fattah, because he is so good and because I've learned so much from him.

Anyway, time to stare off into space for another couple of hours.

Pete

I enjoyed reading about these exploits to take my mind off of what has occurred in the last 36 hours.

I found it difficult to find the energy to go workout yesterday, but I felt it was necessary in order to be true to myself and to give my mind a break and instead work my body.

Thanks for the account of your experiences...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT