• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Western Cape Info

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Popflint

Mar 9, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good shop or outfit between PE & Sedgefield.I'll be visiting for a few weeks(staying in Sedge) & need to make some mods. to my setup.Also I was following threads & someone said they would post a pic. of their gun/float/line set up,is it up?.Originally from Zim. we just strung our fish on to our belts(what croc?) so would like to know what a good surf rig would be,for shallow to medium reef .from the shore.Im not after a record ,just something nice for the braai.:)
Thanks Pf
------------------
The bottoms only as deep as the water.

Last edited:
Popflint...I would avoid fish on the belt in SA:naughty That bump might just be your last. I had a casual spearfishing friend who went more for crayfish, but sometimes he hooked a fish on his belt as he was shallow to medium along the shoreline. This was Natal, but he was wacked so hard by a zambezi once it fractured a rib, the fish was gone and so was his stomach for ever using a speargun again. No no on the belt
Stringer---Float---polypropylene rope---gun---spear
Links in between can be long line/tuna clips and rope is okay @ 10m but better 15m. Dispatch fish. If no stringer then quickest to have a clip so you can unclip from gun handle and slip the rope under the gill from behind, out through mouth and re-clip to the gun handle so fish slides up the rope to the float and you get back to concentrating on your surroundings.
Make sure you have a very sharp knife easily at hand in the surf/reef area.
P.S. 100cm gun okay.

cheers

I agree with surfnspear, a definite no no on the fish to weight belt you might find yourself in a situation where the hunter becomes the hunted. Check the thread dummies guide for rigging a speargun and maybe ask miles about a pic. Your basic rig between gun and float is a clip on the end of the floatline that clips onto your gun handle and a clip on the float that fixes to the line. Both float and line can be bought with the clips allready attached. You could check out www.rabitech.com or www.freedivers.co.za and phone the contact person listed in South Africa, they sell all the needed equipment and will be able to tell you where to find a distributor close to where you are planning your stay if there is any. There is alo a thread with diy in the hunting forum under equipment I think check it out.
Good Luck and Save Diving :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT