• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wet Suit Paint

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cragrat

Aug 16, 2001
Howdy all, I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of paint one would use if they wanted to brighten up their wet suit (say a custom name tag or sponsor logo :). This would be on open or closed cell neoprene.

Hola david,
My brother did a nice paint on his picasso. I´ll ask him the technique and tell you later.

Sincerely

Frank Pernett

Cragrat,

Why not use colored liquid latex to paint logos, etc., on your wet suit? It won't crack like regular paint, and it won't interfere with your suit's flexibility. Liquid latex come in all kinds of bright colors, including some neon colors.

When I bought my suit from Picasso (Black Apnos), Roger Y. suggested I seal the threaded seams with liquid latex since latex has the same stretch as neoprene (they're both rubber, after all.) After looking around a bit, I got a supply of black liquid latex from a latex fetish store (I'm completely serious!) Around $13 bucks for a pint, I believe, and I managed to put 3 coats on all my threaded seams with ~2/3 of it.

The only thing I noticed is that after it's been wet a while the black latex turned gray, but it turns black again after it's dry.

Have fun! :D

Longfins

A friend of mine has used a wetsuit for several years now that he painted a skeleton on. All anotomicly correct, I might add. He used tool handle dip. You can get it at hardware stores, auto parts stores, etc. I have seen it in only black, red, and yellow.:eek:

Cool, sounds like I should do some experimenting. I hadn't though of the tool dip stuff. I'll have to get some neoprene and try these idea's out. Thanks!

My question is along the same lines. I was thinking about the fact that gray on sharks is very camo like. When I've seen sharks in the distance, they were very hard to make out until they came, heart thumping close. haha So I was thinking that this concept would work just as well for spearfishing. I have a black Scubapro 3mm, and I was thinking about spicing it up a bit. Any recommendations? I would probably be painting a camo pattern in all gray if I can find the right supplies.

So the questions to answer would be.
Gray: A good idea for Camo?
What paint?

Thanks,
Skiny

I was looking for a cheap wetsuit and saw this: U Mark It Gear Marking Paint at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog!

Don't know how it works though you could mix up black and white to get grey. The glow-in-the-dark paint sounds super cool...

I seem to recall a guy from Sweden had a thread about camo painting wetsuits. I cannot for the life of me remember his DB screen name at the moment...

EDIT: The diver I'm thinking of is PoseidonSV and here is the thread I was trying to recall: http://forums.deeperblue.net/wetsuits/68413-info-how-paint-smoothskin-wetsuit.html

Last edited:
When you say liquid latex paint....Are you talking about any type of latex based paint, something you could find at a hardware store? I have a black sporasub 3mm suit and I wanted to turn it camo. Any suggestions on color choice....I would be using the suit for reef diving. Thanks

did anyone have any luck with this will it effect an open cell suit or damage it in anyway?

thanks for the help ill try ordering some see how it goes

Great! that´s the stuff I´ve been looking for... I´ll also try to make an order. :)

It´s called Veneziani Gummipaint. So give Google a try. I´ve found an italian store. Perhaps you can get it somewhere in Finland, too.

Is there a paint that is sprayable,I want to do a better camo than a generic camo printed pattern. I want to break up the body lines and lighten the bottom up like fish.

Without reading the whole thread, I am always painting bits of my kit including wetsuits.
If you have a nylon outer to your suit you can spray with car body repair aerosols quite successfully just dont expect it to last forever.

Sounds like you could do with a pot of camo paint. I saw some in my local hardware store. While you're there, you could ask them for a long weight, I'm sure they have them! LOL!

MY buddy had a black effesub, he took a normaln spray paint and did a grey tiger all over his wetsuit. It looks good but the paint comes off in a few small places, almost on every flehion. There are small black points but you can't see them until you come very very close.

i tried a water based acrylic,its flexible as well,sprayed it with an airbrush,good results as well

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT