• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit and Camo?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AndiL

Aug 2, 2007
Hi,

It's time for a new wetsuit.

I want to start with spearfishing seriously, so my question is:

How important is camo?

Andi

Wetsuit makers feel that they have to have camo to compete, so its hard to get a good wetsuit that isn't camo. I don't think camo does any harm, but I doubt that it helps either. Pick a suit that fits your requirements for fit, thickness, durability, etc. And then if its camo, that's fine.

I'm always surprised that there is not a camo pattern that is mottled like the pattern on a seal, because when they are in the kelp they are very hard to spot if they keep still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm always surprised that there is not a camo pattern that is mottled like the pattern on a seal, because when they are in the kelp they are very hard to spot if they keep still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But then what if it fooled great white sharks into thinking we were seals? :)

Reactions: foxfish
Wetsuit makers feel that they have to have camo to compete, so its hard to get a good wetsuit that isn't camo. I don't think camo does any harm, but I doubt that it helps either. Pick a suit that fits your requirements for fit, thickness, durability, etc. And then if its camo, that's fine.
I did not experience that camo helps. Fish feel yor movements in the water...

I did not experience that camo helps. Fish feel your movements in the water...
What about when you are not moving e.g. aspetto/agachon?

My 2 cents: matt black works pretty well and might sometimes be the best camo option (but will still make you look like a seal ;)) but if you look at some of the inspirational images in some of the glossy spearing catalogs (Omersub's for example) & videos on youtube it would be hard to deny that some camos are really excellent, sometimes at least. But, yes, how much do fish depend on their other senses (e.g. electrical/pressure sensing/scent) vs. sight? Probably varies but I suspect you are right, eye sight is probably a lesser sense for most fish.

Reactions: neillikesfish
Can you still buy a black suit?

Good question. Its not easy, but the place where I get my custom suits will give you any color you want as long as its black or green. Or you can get really fancy and get a combination of those colors.

That pretty much narrows it down for me. My weird body demands a custom suit. I don't want to order a custom suit from overseas and then have to send it back if it doesn't fit. I want to be able to drive to the suit maker and make them take the measurements so that they can't say it was my fault if it doesn't fit. I want to be able to go try the suit on in their shop so that they can see any adjustments that must be made.

There are only two custom suit makers within driving distance. The other one does offer camo, but he is almost twice as expensive as the one I use, and I've heard complaints about the fit of his suits anyway. That leaves me with JMJ. They've been making my suits for agot 17 years.

http://jmjwetsuits.com

If they offered camo, I'd probably try it just so I could look like all the other kids. But they don't offer it, and I don't want it bad enough to override all the factors mentioned above.

While these photos show a green suit and a green and black suit, my present two suits, 5mm and 7mm, are both just dull black.

Attachments

• predator.JPG
    predator.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 184
  • predatorbg-1.JPG
    predatorbg-1.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: Mr. X
Personally I don't think it makes a jot of difference to a fish if you're in a cammo suit or not. Don't reckon they read the same glossy ads as us.

Can you still buy a black suit?

Yes, I've just ordered one :)...has to be said though that cammo does look cooler. It's the new black.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Those look like tough suits Bill, I used to have a front zip suit many years ago, it could almost stand up on it's own.

Ditto. Did you add the knife pocket yourself? I tried making my own knife pocket but it came unglued & I lost my cute little Omersub USA Laser mini spearo dagger (perfect little knife but honking great ugly sheath). A nice find for somebody - knife AND sheath together on the seabed. So I continue to carry the trusty cheap flat spearo dagger in RA Limpet sheath - simple, unobtrusive, effective.

I order the suits with the knife pocket included. They are sewn on.

Most camo is nothing like the reef, would work great in a tree stand in the woods. Only a couple of companies have gotten it right and they're pretty pricey . I've been using a cheap $100 Henderson Micro Fleece that I got 10 yrs. ago. It's out lasted other spearfishing suits that I paid twice as much for. I just camo painted and glued on the loading pad. My next suit will be a Henderson, they're still about $100 and last 3 times as long. Hope this helps.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT