• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit recommendations for UK spearo?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I am thinking of getting a proper spearo wetsuit next year (or maybe just a CHEAP, full surfing "steamer") for use in the UK. There are just so many options, it is hard to know what to get -- so I thought I ask for your recommendations.

Some thoughts:
- loading pad required
- knee pads prob. a good idea
- might be worth opting for custom made if cost difference small (I have big legs & wide shoulders -- not a real off-the-peg Mediterranean sort).
- trad. high waist, separate jacket with hood spearo design? (perhaps 2 piece makes off-the-peg possible?)
- Probably 5mm(?)

Is camo worthwhile (read the article on the Jersey site that suggests the fish may come in too close too quick with camo!)? Black would prob. be fine. Elios seem like they might be worth a look -- anybody any experience of them? How about UK made wetsuits (I am told there are several places in Cornwall)?

*What sort of neoprene, lining, covering, etc.?

What works & what doesn't?

I have used a 2.5mm nylon covered shortie & slick, nylon lined triathlon sleeveless longjohn (5 & 3mm) in the past. The latter a very good race suit, the former cheap but functional (but only good for 1.5 hours in the sea off the south coast of the UK).

Last edited:
I have an Omer Mimetic Med 6.5mm and it is fine, I too have big legs and broad shoulders and it fits real good. The idea with single lined suits ie open cell is that they are stretchier as well as warmer.
I would advise against buying a steamer as they are not really suitable for spearing in.
they are fine for a couple of hours in warmer water but not for serious freediving.
Regarding high waist , I have a long john style and I have no problems with it.
One of the modifications I would make is to fit a Pissette or Bec de Canard.
This allows you to answer the call of nature without marinating yourself:)
Kanoko is good for wear areas like knees and arse.
I can't recommend the Omer highly enough, I know a lot of people like the Elios suits too though.
I would also recommend getting a little tube of the Picasso wetsuit glue when you buy your suit, if you are like me you will need it.

Get a proper spearfishing suit. I have lots of customers who initially think they can get away with a surf suit, they all come back for a real suit in the end!
5mm, unless you are planning on long dives in the depths of winter, in which case a 7mm jacket is nice as an extra. I find high waist more comfortable than long john. Made to measure is well worth the money
The only company still making any suits in the UK is Snugg in Newquay. They only do (very nice) surfing and triathlon suits, starting at about £200
For a first suit get nylon outer/ cell inner. I like camo, but I dont think it actually makes much difference most of the time. Dont get too hung up on neoprene types, bear in mind that the manufacturer of the suit knows a lot more about neoprene than you do!
I may be biased, but Elios really do make the best spearfishing suits in the World!
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Hiya

Like the Dave and Huan said, get a proper suit first time round!!

5mm open cell should work fine!! Full length bottom should be warmer, because you will then have 10mm effectively covering your mid-body.

Once you've used a open cell suit, you'll NEVER go back to the normal wetsuits!!! They're simply so much warmer and comfortable.

If you can, a custom made suit is definitely worth the money.

I also a 5mm Omer Mimetic and can also HIGHLY recommend them!!

Regards
miles

Huan said:
...One of the modifications I would make is to fit a Pissette or Bec de Canard. This allows you to answer the call of nature without marinating yourself:)
Kanoko is good for wear areas like knees and arse.
I would also recommend getting a little tube of the Picasso wetsuit glue when you buy your suit, if you are like me you will need it.
Duck bill? Pissette? Sounds like a heavy duty condom stuck on the outside of the suit! Is it like a fly hole?

Arse wear? I don't even want to know.;)

Good point re. glue. I am forever repairing things it seems these days.

Yep you are pretty close with the condom! actually I had mine fitted by the scubaland shop, it cost something like €30 delivered back to me.
Believe me If you spend enough time in the water you will come to appreciate the convenience of being able to "let yourself go" with a Minimum of effort.
Besides urine actually attacks the glue and rubber in a wetsuit.
As Miles says the extra 5mm or so of rubber over the chest and shoulders makes a bit of difference.
The Picasso glue is amazing stuff, my buddy got a new Spetton with the gold thermic inner and wouldn't listen that it is a little more fragile than open cell, tore a big hole in it! a little rubber glue and he was back to as near as new.
Regarding Arse wear , I always get in and out facing the sea, I don't like the idea of being caught by a rogue wave so thats where my arse gets worn ;)

Huan said:
As Miles says the extra 5mm or so of rubber over the chest and shoulders makes a bit of difference....
Interesting point. I thought spearos generally went for the high waist trousers(/pants/tights). Sounds like longjohns have a strong following among the experiened spearos here. Is the high waist more of a Mediterranean/warm water set-up? Presumably breathing/apnea is not inhibited by the longjohn + jacket then?

The simplicity of high waist trousers appeals to me (better chance of a correct fit, easier to get in and out of,... ). However, despite global warming, the sea around the UK is still pretty darn cold :( . Another approach I heard suggested was to use a 2mm vest (with high waist trousers) instead of longjohn; presumably a better fit/more versatile set up but less warmth, 5+2 vs. 5+5...although, I guess, crotch to diaphragm will be 5+5 for both, perhaps even 5+5+2 waist-to-diaphragm for the vest option....aaah my head hurts :duh ). Presumably the aim is to keep your core (heart & lungs) warm(?) Any thoughts on the vest approach e.g. cost/effectiveness/comfort/warmth? The vests seem rather pricey for such a small, simple item, esp. in the UK (US prices seem a little better at about half the price, still not cheap though)?

Perhaps a thicker jacket (6/6.5/7mm) be would advisable with the high waist trouser option in the UK? Oh... I guess Dave already answered this one, 7mm for long, cold winter days ( :hmm ...doesn't that sound appealing! Actually the odd winter dip might not be a bad idea --winter is so long & grim!). [I suppose wearing my shortie wetsuit underneath is a no-no?! ;)]

Last edited:
Never used a vest , my natural insulation + 6.5mm suit is plenty for all conditions here, down to 9ºc in Winter.
In the summer dive deeper and longer and your suit will compress more cooling you off:)

Hiya

Now to confuse you even some more!!:D:D

After about a years hard diving, your 5mm wetsuit will have compressed and will most likely be closer to a 3mm wetsuit!!!! You'll notice this when you buy a new wetsuit. You'll need more weights to counter-act the additional bouyancy your new wetsuit has compared to your now old compressed wetsuit.

If you're going to be diving alot, in quite cold water, i'd look at a cheap open cell wetsuit, so that you can replace it during the next year or two. My old 5mm, which have compressed to about 3mm's by now, is used when i go on holiday, in warm tropical waters.

The short life span of an opencell wetsuit is one of the dis-advantages.

Regarding the whole vest issue, how will you know when to put your vest on?? You can get very warm water in summer or very cold water. You'll have to decide BEFORE you enter the water. Gonna be a real pain if you find its too cold, then you have to get out and put the vest on. Or vice versa, too warm with the vest on and you start overheating.

Stick with the farmer john/long john bottom and seperate top. You only choice now would be 5mm or 6.5mm. Dependant on how cold water you are prepared to brave!!:D:D

Regards
miles

I stick by my commment that high waist trouser is the way to go (speaking as someone who used longjohns for years before I saw the light!). A vest is useful in the colder months, and gives you more flexibility with a single suit set up. In the UK water temp is pretty predictable, we dont have converging warm and cold currents. Apart from being more comfortable, a high waist trouser is a lot more convenient when you are way off shore, and last nights dodgy takeaway needs to come out in a hurry!
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Reactions: Mr. X
Hiya

a high waist trouser is a lot more convenient when you are way off shore, and last nights dodgy takeaway needs to come out in a hurry!
Have to agree with you on that one!!! rofl

Regards
miles

Cant be arsed to writre much but I would get :

5mm Elios
open cell inner with black lining (easier to get in and still warm)
black nylon outer (go for camo if you want to feel like Rambo :))
high waist

A 2mm under-vest (sotto-muta I think in Italian) might be good for the shoulder months or if you do alot of aspetto - I get chilly in a 5mm om some days... must be metabolism / long aspettos with not much swimming etc - anyway I would think about it.

Ed

Reactions: Mr. X
Wetsuit glue

Huan said:
Aside:
Glue fans: I was looking for special water-based contact adhesive (not dive related) & came across this company. I noticed the adhesive below, if you need a lot of neoprene adhesive, this sounds like it might be a good deal:
http://www.fgflimited.co.uk/specials_index.asp

Product Superior Temperature Resistance 4 Ltr Can
Manufacturer Level 1 Neoprene Spreadable Adhesive
Item Our Code: 391765
Offer £8 per can
Contact Glynn Ricketts on Tel: 0121 233 1144

Sounds good for sticking on kneepatches and stuff, I still think that the Picasso stuff is the best I have used, very liquid going on but 2 coats of this and stick the wound together and hey presto! no more rip.
Daves comment regarding homemade chum is true although I have found that the shock of cold water tends to have a "contracting" effect....

The glue above is a neoprene based adhesive, not an adhesive for glueing neoprene!
The best stuff for glueing neoprene is Tivofix, but it only comes in gallon cans, next best is Bostick 2402 which is available in 250ml pots at about a tenner. Both are a two part (glue and hardener) which you make up in small batches as needed
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

I got a couple of tubes of Spetton wetsuit glue over the summer (there were 4 or 5 wetsuit glue options from the supplier in question). Cheapest option but its good, thick, black gloopy stuff which allowed me to repair one large and several small holes with ease. Haven't tried using the repaired wetsuit yet tho'...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT