• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

wetsuit+socks+glove thickness?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

snask

Sep 25, 2020
Hello!

I was hoping to get some advice for the thickness needed in Adriatic (3,5 or 5mm, cressi apnea), where its mostly 20-25+ degrees and during 1 month spring/winter it changes between 15-20. What is the lowest temp you guys would go with 3,5mm suit? I may just skip the lowest temps if 3,5 is a better choice, if there is a significant downside to using 5mm suit that is. Next have to pair with 2,5- 3,5- 5 mm glove and 3 or 5mm socks? Same here, if there is a major disadvantage to 5mm socks and gloves, I may just wait a few weeks. What temp is enough with protecting textile gloves?

Hope this request wasn't to confusing :LOL:

Hello . ! The Adriatic coast in italy lowest Water temp 5 c Gloves Cressi always new for winter in 5mm ! maintaining body temp depends on periods of rest and body movement in cold waterand what technique you use to fish i.e the sniper or indian slow craml movment.Each year varies as does the month never repeating the same harmony year for year.the other factors are depths and water current warm or if cold depending on the land wind and sea wind !south current of water being warmer obviously,.Then how long you intend to immerse in water! the morning being colder clear water is warmer murcky water colder say near to a river included in zone if from melting snow water more blue,.Spring going towards summer never precise ,. I use June to July 2.5mm to 3mm then on to mid september or in october 5mm until May June ,.Socks neropreine fleese or smooth interior! smooth with talco powder goes great for early morning immersions especialy Winter and for to enter the suit keeps you warmer and dryer for longer.I aree it difficuilt to be precise on what to wear month to month happy to help hope this keeps you warm

me Again the suit 3.5 mm up until a month ago present situation is a 5mm suit water is 21 c at present and falling due to darker days on arrival,. Weather at sea not fishable at present! good to change on wedsnesday i hope

Reactions: Mr. X
me Again the suit 3.5 mm up until a month ago present situation is a 5mm suit water is 21 c at present and falling due to darker days on arrival,. Weather at sea not fishable at present! good to change on wedsnesday i hope
Alright, so you say 5mm is needed for 21c? I am a bit surprised to be honest. Thought 3,5 would be enough from 20 degrees.
And what do you think about gloves and socks in this temperature? Also 5 or you can wear thinner socks, gloves?

Suit thickness highly depends on your body type, metabolism and climate. For a all-year suit for Crete (15-27°C) I got recommended everything from 3mm to 6.5mm. I went with a 3mm custom Heiwa, which for me is plenty warm in the winter and I use top-only in the summer.

I am of a mesomorph build with low-medium body fat, I guess what people call athletic. I however also know people with more fat who use a thicker suit. Perhaps its that as a Dutch I am still more used to cold than the locals.

Reactions: Mr. X
Alright, so you say 5mm is needed for 21c? I am a bit surprised to be honest. Thought 3,5 would be enough from 20 degrees.
And what do you think about gloves and socks in this temperature? Also 5 or you can wear thinner socks, gloves?
Were i fish the water is not so clear !the suns rays dont heat up past 4 meters it gets colder after that unlike puglia clear water and at 8 9 meters the water gets colder,. my friends now use the 5mm we stay 6/ 7 hours in water we have River water flowing into the coastal areas not alike other zones less fresh water less disturbance the ambient remains steady in temperature in Puglia one needs more lead as the Sea to that area is more concentrated in salt gloves socks yes 3mm if you want but for me i want to avoid Arthritis i work out side Summer, Winter, Rain, Wind, Snow,.I hope this answers the Question

Were i fish the water is not so clear !the suns rays dont heat up past 4 meters it gets colder after that
That's a good one. Often overlooked, by me as well. Where I dive, even in the winter, the days are mostly clear sky and so is the water. I guess the color of the suit makes a difference as well.

!Yes true,. Its a pitty Amazon ran out of pixxy dust ! I lost my youth to getting older im sorry i cannot find a cure .If only i could make Monday The third day of the weekend ! but we dont want to frighten the fishes now do we ,.Sea Bass arriving here the one kilo size all male followed by the femal of two kilo up to 9 kilo Winters good for that

Suit thickness highly depends on your body type, metabolism and climate. For a all-year suit for Crete (15-27°C) I got recommended everything from 3mm to 6.5mm. I went with a 3mm custom Heiwa, which for me is plenty warm in the winter and I use top-only in the summer.

I am of a mesomorph build with low-medium body fat, I guess what people call athletic. I however also know people with more fat who use a thicker suit. Perhaps its that as a Dutch I am still more used to cold than the locals.

Thank you for this info, there is points for the thinner suit!
This custom 3mm Heiwa maybe is warming more than a regular store suit? ie. Cressi Apnea 3,5 mm? Do you see disadvantages of having 5mm suit? Less flexibility? And do you have similar recommendation for socks and gloves? 2,5-3mm?

Costly is the yamamoto half the thickness but warm I.e 3mm Yamamoto versus a 6mm Mares or Cressi !the Yamamoto wins less lead kilo weights but wins yet again on flexability in regards to the Cressi or Mares or other

y

Do you see disadvantages of having 5mm suit?
To me two disadvantages of 5mm were it needing more lead to balance the buoyancy (I travel by foot and bicycle), and overheating on a hot day. Sure you could 'let some water in' like some folks say, but overheating leads to exhaustion, dehydration and cramps, all of which are way more dangerous than a little chill now and then.

I stay in for 5-7 hours, but I also swim about 4km during that time with a lot of dives in-between, in a sea that is never calm, so I generally burn more calories than someone who dives in Kalamata (flat sea all year round).

Gloves/Socks
I use those Dyneema gloves from Salvimar. It adds about nothing to warmth, but they're tough as nails and protected my hands very well so far.
For socks I would recommend the thinnest you could use for your water temperature, as a thinner sock is more efficient in transferring kinetic energy than a thick dampening sock. If you already have fins then this will limit the range sock-thickness as well.

Heiwa MD (medium-density) is more dense than Yamamoto 45 and many of the 'super flex' neoprenes in regular suits. I chose this because it resists compression better, meaning it will keep you warmer at depth, and it's more tough and longer lasting.

Do you use a lead weight harness Jacket that gives to me better bouyency with no fatigue as all the lead weight on the weist belt causes big fatigue ,.The bike do you use a cargo bike trailler is good for saving the weight of a ruck sack especialy to the area of the Body on the seat of the bike its not so accomadating .,If i need in summer ! its hot 40 c i.e I put my clothes in a dry bag then double up in to another dry bag shorts Trunks diving costume a pair of floatin sandles or trainers then attach it to what ever marker bouy i usethe say before i put water or mineral salts or sport drink in freezer cycling bottles are best for me the have that valve teit that opens and ipushes down to close figs are a great energy if you find your self near to a tree. Apple high in sugar ,.The Banana good carb .The Kiwi high in vit c ,.Cramp never get i drink alot of fluid in the morning and when in sea my frozen bottles keep the temp down then when out of the water i drink more fluid and yogurt on the way home for a sure protein recovery 3 hours in the sea i take a no name protein bar from my liquids snack bag i change at the sea ! i dehydrate far less no fatigue

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT