• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Hi all,
Now Im getting a little more seriously into this freediving lark im after a new wetsuit, I have my eye on either a Mares Diablo or one of the Piccassos. (Im a UK diver) Firstly any comments on these would be appreciated. Secondly Im a poor student so if anyone knows where is best to buy one for cheap or has one for sale let me know, I currently have a scuba pro STek 5mm suit hardly used maybe someone wants to swap?
Anyway any help you can give would be great. Im 6ft 33in waist and 40in chest thanks again,
Joe:cool:

Hi Ickledevil,

There seem to be a number of good suits on the market.
One thing to watch out for are number of sizes available.
Many companies may only make four or five sizes, which
is fine if you happen to get a good fit. Also the European sizes, in my experience, tend to be a bit on the small side. It would be good if you could try it on, but the sport is such that unless you are in a very active freedive area that this is unlikely. I have heard many good things about the Picasso suit, and most of the people that I know swear by them, and many have switched from other brands. I just bought a 7mm commercial and am wondering if I might not have been able to do just as well with a 5mm, they are that warm.
A friend of mine contends that a 5mm with a 3mm over it is way warmer than her dry suit. This perspective is from the Pacific North West in Canada. Another friend
just dove in a Canadian mountain lake that the ice went off of less than a week ago and claims to have been fine in a 5mm at 2 degrees at 65 feet. So no issues about the warmth of the Biothermics. The picasso suits are hand made in Spain and do cost more than most, although I am not sure of the Mares, having just priced the new titanium regulator. The picasso suit comes in many sizes. I am fairly big, 6'2", 235 pounds and I got a 60 which is fine. My guess is that you would fit either a 56, or 58. If you are interested in Picasso your best bet is to contact your closest dealer. A comment that a local shop manager shared with me, which might or might not apply in Britan, is that many of the companies have a hard time delivering, and that Beauchat and Picasso are the best bets. Other suits that I have owned include; Bare (3), O'neill (1), and Body Glove (1). Hands down I would take the Picasso any day.

Best wishes,

Doug Morgan,
Lantzvile, B.C.

Suit

Hi Joe; I, like freediver48, have used all sorts of wetsuits, including White's and OMER.....I wish I had bought a Picasso suit in the first place. I am 6'1'', 32 waist, 175lbs. Picasso has a semi-custom size(52long) that will fit you better than latex. These suits are not only the warmest suits around, but the most comfortable. It feels as if you are wearing a warm layer of paint. I too am a student with not much cash, but the money spent is well worth it. I dive in a 5mm Hombra Termic suit with 9lbs on my belt, this makes me neutral at -40', much better than wearing a big suit with 20lbs. Cheers, Erik

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT