• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mapo

Nov 15, 2005
Hi all,

I have recently started freediving in Ca. I'm using my sCUBA wetsuit (which I don't use anymore since I switched to a Dry Suit) and was wondering how suitable it is for freediving.

It is an Xcel SCS Polar Tri-Density 9/7/6MM suit.

It kept me quite toasty when I was using it for SCUBA, but don't know if there are some reasons that would make it not a great suit for freediving.

Thanks,

Mapo

My only concern would be that if the 6 mil kept you warm while tank'in it below the thermocline, it might be a bit warm for freediving... water is getting colder though so it might work.

My buddy wears his 8 mil suit that he bought for SCUBA and sweats bullets in low 60's F. He wants my 5mm Omer on days like that. Also there are issues of flexibility and comfort, but its up to the individual.

Sorry, should have specified Northern California. We don't have the thermoclines like you do. It is mostly 48 - 55 up here.

You move around a lot more when freediving, and that would heat things up a bit. I went freediving in a 7mm scuba suit in Monterey Bay and was positively roasting. Ditto for diving in our river when the water was snowmelt temperature.

You will get so hot you will get nausea. I used to use a Henderson Gold Core 7/5 with a 3mm vest/hood combo for SCUBA. I used the combo for freediving and got sick and threw up every time. I stopped using the vest/hood and went to a regular hood and it helped but not enough. I will be getting into a new suit this year, either an OMER or Picasso. I will be using a 5mm suit and continue with my 3mm socks. Should be fine then. I would say when $ are available, buy a legit freediving suit.

Hey Gabe, wow. I've been freediving in my 9/7/6 about 10 times and though I wasn't cold, I certainly wasn't hot (though I did get a bit sick in the pool once due to heat). I think that this type of thing probably varies dramatically from person to person. Aside from getting too hot, is there any issue with this suit for Freedving / Hunting in 48 - 54F water? Or is there any complelling reason to replace it for somthing else for the time being?

Thanks,

Mapo

Gabe said:
You will get so hot you will get nausea. I used to use a Henderson Gold Core 7/5 with a 3mm vest/hood combo for SCUBA. I used the combo for freediving and got sick and threw up every time. I stopped using the vest/hood and went to a regular hood and it helped but not enough. I will be getting into a new suit this year, either an OMER or Picasso. I will be using a 5mm suit and continue with my 3mm socks. Should be fine then. I would say when $ are available, buy a legit freediving suit.

mapo said:
Hey Gabe, wow. I've been freediving in my 9/7/6 about 10 times and though I wasn't cold, I certainly wasn't hot (though I did get a bit sick in the pool once due to heat). I think that this type of thing probably varies dramatically from person to person. Aside from getting too hot, is there any issue with this suit for Freedving / Hunting in 48 - 54F water? Or is there any complelling reason to replace it for somthing else for the time being?

Thanks,

Mapo

As long as you stay at a good temp. and drink plenty of fluids I would think you should be okay. Just make sure you drink lots is the main thing it will help keep you cooler helping to prevent you from overheating. Also remember if you get too hot just let some water into the suit it will cool you down.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT