• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whale Blackouts (deep water and shallow water)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fishimani

Leagues Deep
Dec 28, 2008
I am very interested in the physiology of whales since they can hold their breath for over an hour without getting brain damage...collapse their rib cages and lungs without dying etc... they also "breathe up" for a very long period of time... and since they take their air from the surface they are freedivers. So i was just curious if a whale can samba or blackout.

Thanks,

-Pete

I don't think ever happens (IMO), men kind is probably the only animal who is dum enough to resist the contractions. I've heard about many studies done about how deep they dive and how they stay, for whales, sea lions, etc.

Contractions are not always felt before a blackout; you may have every known indication of blackout previous to it's occurrence, or you may feel nothing at all and simply go to sleep.

I'd assume that it's possible; it is an oxygen dependent creature; saying that it can't black out is like saying that it can't drown. it may not be stupid enough to blackout; it obviously has superior instinct in diving compared to humans, and may even have developed indicators that us walking humans are incapable of feeling. But other than...being a fish, how could it not be susceptible to blackout?

Rob

Well, a blackout at cetaceans almost inevitably leads to death. First of all their blackout threshold is much lower than at humans, which means that when they blackout, the organism is already so much deprived of oxygen, that there is little chance to recover it. And second, there is rarely someone around who would try saving the "blacked out" whale. So it is rather irrelevant to speak about blackout or LMC. We should rather speak about hypoxic death. And that's entirely another topic, because most of cetaceans ultimately die because of that. And I do not mean only those dolphins, whales, or other cetaceans trapped in nets, or under ice, or with breath ways clogged with garbage. I mean also all the old, weak, and sick animals who ultimately drown because they simply can't keep going on.

Reactions: strangelove
well first off, whales and dolphins are NOT fish, they are mamals.
second, i think maybe they are mroe sophisticated and just liek we can't feel the loss of oxigen, and react to the increase in CO2, they must be able to know how much O2 they have in their blood. also, they do black out and drown. But if they do they sink to the bottom at god know how many thousands feet. I've seen video of sumersibles that are goign trough the bottom and they find whale carcases and skeletons. Maybe they can get sick and drown, or old, or injured, or maybe a baby whale every now and then doesnt know the proper order of breathign and swimming and may accidentally drown herself. is not like the Momma whale can give her CPR.

Seals and whales do blackout. It happens mostly when they are under the ice and can't find a breathing hole. It can also happen to a whale after a deep water fight with a colossal squid.

Reactions: strangelove
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT