• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What a miss! (Video)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lawstraljan16

Jul 9, 2012
Went out spearfishing today with little luck. I can't believe I missed such an easy shot!

Make sure to watch it in HD (720p or 1080p)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myUsycgKr0U&hd=1]Malta spearfishing 2012 - Young Greater Amberjack (Cervjola) FAIL - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah I think I noticed you did the reverse of what the fish did, maybe expecting it to turn?

Nice video.

Honestly I have no idea what happened, I was shocked to not see the fish on the end of my harpoon!

Glad to hear you liked the video, I am going to start putting up videos on youtube as much as I can with my catches etc. I'll post them on the forums just in case others are interested in watching.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

This is an even worse miss. I just can't get used to the gun, either that or it sucks!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUgY2I4iNo&hd=1]Malta spearfishing 2012 - Young Greater Amberjack (Cervjola) FAIL - YouTube[/ame]

Indeed! OMG, I'm not a spearo yet it looks like I even could have landed that one!

Anyway I see the same mistake, you follow the fish, then it twists, then you stop and reverse your moving gun quickly, and then the fish proceeds his original way much faster you cannot keep up with you gun movement and shoot behind the fish.

So try the following, keep in mind the general fish direction, when it suddenly turns, stop but don't reverse you gun movement but wait for next turn and shoot then.

Better is to trail the fish, wait for it's turn (stop) and shoot when the fish is turning.

The gun is maybe bigger and heavier or less streamlined, so it has slower rotation speed acceleration then your shorter lighter guns. This in combination with the quick left-right rabbit jumps of fish makes the aim very hard to trail.

LOL spearo advice from a not yet spearo!

Yeah I cant believe the miss myself. It keeps playing in my mind over and over!

But at least these videos are nice offset to the usual "stoned!1" films everyone else posts As the saying goes, "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.", so thanks for sharing.

Haha thanks. What do you mean by stoned offset? I dont get it

"Stoned" as in instant kill. Your film differ from all the instant kill videos, and that is good

Yeah well I cant catch them all. I have a few more videos of me missing some nice fish, ill upload asap an post them here.

Thanks for the encouragement too, glad to hear some like my vids. Im enjoying myself a lot spearfishing and go as much as possible!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…