• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What can sink a float w/ 80 lb surface lift?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lonestar

Jul 1, 2003
I have a 75 ft Riffe standard float line and a Riffe torpedo float http://www.speargun.com/floats.htm attached to the butt of my Riffe Competitor #1. With this setup and no boat about how large of a fighting fish could I shoot without loosing my equipment?

Hi Lonestar,

From the spearing videos I have, a 30 pounder Wahoo can sink that float for some 6 feet U/W for a while.

From advice of a very good freediver friend of mine, 30kg dog tooth tuna have sank 3 of that Riffe float for a while.

I have the Riffe Torpedo float too but I am not sure if 80 lbs is the floatation power. To get 80 lbs of lift in sea water, you need a volume of almost 31 liters. I think ( never measure though) the Riffe torpedo float is 20 liters at best.

What I experience is : any good fighting fish is capable of pulling at least 2-3 times its body weight equivalent of downward force if the hit on them is not vital.

IYA

float

its a board type float made by omer i believe they call it the bassofondo line.
i don't think the atoll float is designed to withstand any type of dunking since it is for insore. Maybe 10-20 feet. The thing that would likely fail would be the loop were the float line attaches, it is made from plastic instead of metal as I would expect from something made to hold up to a pelagic pulling on it.

I know it is not a pelagic type of float. All i want is resist to 4-5 kg jacks.;)

Originally posted by lonestar
Could a white sea bass pull this float under?

I guess that anything bigger than 10 kg can destroy it easily. But if you remove all excess weight from it and you pump it to real max and then if you add some hard buoy with bungie connection, it MAY work.

Originally posted by Murat
I know it is not a pelagic type of float. All i want is resist to 4-5 kg jacks.;)

Hi mate dont even worry about a float if the fish are going to be 4-5kg. The only fish that have come close to pulling my floats down was a nice spanish mack with a poor shot ;)

cheers

Hey Ivan,

I watched Alberto March's movie. Check your PM soon.

Last edited:
Originally posted by ivan
Hi mate dont even worry about a float if the fish are going to be 4-5kg. The only fish that have come close to pulling my floats down was a nice spanish mack with a poor shot ;)

cheers

Any chance against Greater AJ bigger than 10 kg with midbody shot? Or i should reniforce it with outher buoys in this case?

hi

Murat I belive it depends also at what depth you shoot the fish at. If you hit the pelagics just below the surface like we do here the you can grab hold and take control. But if you are diving the length of your float line and shoot a good pelagic and the bottom is fairly deep by the time you get back to the surface you may find your float heading towards the bottom :naughty and if your using a inflatable float be careful cos you dont want that brand new Omer Aluminium heading towards the bottom with the float.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT