• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What do I Do?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

leighdu

Feb 9, 2005
Hi, im not looking for a job at the momenet, i was looking for some advice.

Im 18, living in Perth Australia and currently doing a Diploma of Marine Studies which involves alot of the coxswains ticket and some marine biology, i will be finished it at the end of the year and was looking for some advice on how to achive one of my goals for a next few years.

I want to try and travel around the Mediterranean and do any type of work involving the ocean and boats, maybe working on super/mega yachts, ecotourism ect... everyones dream job :)

Anyone have any advice on what i should do at the end of the year when i finish my course? I think i need some sort of international ship safty ticket to work in the med?
For the first year i think ill just try to be working on any dive/fish/ecotourism charters to get some experience.
Was just wondering what would help me more to get to my goal.

Thanks

I have been in your shoes before.

If your serious about relocating for work, which can be a lot less glamorous then it sounds, you might want to consider focusing your attention on one area.

What I mean is decide what exactly you want to do, and focus your efforts on making yourself a desirable candidate for that position.

Instead of thinking along the line of anything within the fields you mentioned, how about just one of them you would prefer, or you think your could accomplish. Then start getting experiance in Australia, it will make it a lot easier. You are lucky that you have age on your side. Many employers would prefer to hire single young people (early to mid 20's) as they are generally the least expensive to hire. They don't have a family to bring along, have a little experiance (enough to not reuire signifigant amounts of training) and are usually quite trainable. Not stuck in thier ways after 10+ years in thier feild. They are also generall willing to work for lower wages. Something you would have to consider.

Don't get me wrong, you can find a job that pays a LOT (thats why most of us are in the middle east) but you make sacrifices for it. No late nights at the club chasing ladies in Saudi Arabia!

On the bright side, spending a few years of your life doing something you love, traveling the globe on the companies tab, and hopefully comming out of it with enough savings to buy a home or start a business, or both, is worth it to most of us out here living our dream.

I guess I should add, I am a Canadian living in Saudi Arabia.

Good luck along your journey!

Reactions: leighdu
Try for an STCW 95 Officer of the watch unlimited ticket and the world will be your oyster. Mega yachts are ok to work on but its not a dream job in any way..

Good luck.

thanks for all the advice,
Almoostafish i think im a bit more interested in where the work can take me i wanna travel around a bit and being out on the ocean is a big bonus for me.

Bloody hell! Thats the first time anyone has called a OOW unlimited ticket a start!! 3 years at sea and in collage.. Oral assesments by the MCA and then that gives you the ticket to be in charge of a watch on any SHIP in the world..eg the QE2 etc

If you want to have a craic, meet some nice looking women and party in nice places and drive pretty plastic things then go the Yacht'y route and have a laugh. Get use to the smell of brasso though. If not go commercial and get a ticket that will keep you in nice cars, houses and toys for the rest of your life.

Enjoy it all! :)

So thats a No then..

Its just that on your profile you say you are a Captain.. Now to call your self that nowaday's you need to have Masters unlimited ticket been a OOW/2 nd mate/XO You could well be a Skipper perhaps?

Yes I am sarcastic but you call your self something, that judging by your posts your not, and I have met too many leisure " Captains " to have that great a repect for them.

Their are always exceptions to this and to all the ticketed Masters out there who drive leisure craft for a living I mean no offence.

Bryn Spencer,
Negative narrow minded person but with a Masters ticket :)

PS: Leighdu sorry for going off topic, I bite to easy! Have fun in your chosen path and enjoy your self what ever you do.

thanks for the advice guys, i was thinking it might help to learn another language or atleast the basics, what is a common language(other than english..) that is used around the med?

Spanish! you can get by in portugal, andorra and italy if you know spanish

You have a big choice: Albanian, Arabic, Egyptian Arabic, Moroccan Arabic, Catalan, Corse, Croatian, French, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Maltese, Serbian, Sicilian, Sloven, Spanish, Turkish,...

Well, most of them are quite regional and not very useful as universal language. More interesting can be Arab, French, Spanish and maybe Italian.

French is widely used and understood also in most of Northern Africa and Near Orient (i.e. Lebanon), and also in parts of Caribbean, Pacific, and Far Orient. In European Med, it is less accepted today than it was earlier - you will find people speaking French in Spain and Italy, and on some islands, but otherwise it is not very popular. I'd also not suggest learning French as your first foreign language - it is rather difficult and unlike with other languages you'll need to know much more before being able to communicate. The advantage though is that it is a Latin language (like Spanish, Catalan, Italian) and once you learn it, you can also more or less understand other Latin languages, or learn them easier.

Italian is much easier to learn, also because Italians are much more tolerant, and will manage to communicate with you even if you know just few words. Knowing Italian can greatly help you in Spain, and even in France, because of its Latin origin. It is also spoken a lot along the Adriatic sea, especially in Slovenia.

Spanish is another Latin language, easy to learn, and its big advantage is its use also in Caribbean, Central and Southern America and some other countries around the world.

Arab is another language that is spoken in many countries, although the local dialects widely vary. There are Arab minorities in many countries around the Med, so it can be useful also in Europe.

Personally, I'd probably recommend Spanish for the beginning.

However, if you plan traveling in a lot of different countries and do often research remote and non-touristic places, then in most countries you'll often have problems to use any other than the local language anyway. I'd suggest always learning 20-100 basic words of the respective language and some polite idioms - usually it is quite sufficient for the basic communication. When people see your effort, they appreciate it, and are usually much more helpful than if you started to speak to them directly in any foreign language.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
I'm with Trux: french and spanish are spoken in half of the world (but spanish is easier to learn), while all the other mediterranean languages are too much specific. (but arab has an interesting potential too).

Or...Uh, idea: LATIN! I mean ancient latin, for enlightened theological conversations with catholic priests all over the world!

Or fascinating, in depth studies of ancient scrolls pertaining to the sea and the life therein. Yes, by all means, Latin! And while you're at it, Attic Greek has great value as well, . . . though it may restrict the kind of girl you'd catch. :confused: :friday: :chatup:

Oldsarge said:
Or fascinating, in depth studies of ancient scrolls pertaining to the sea and the life therein. Yes, by all means, Latin! And while you're at it, Attic Greek has great value as well, . . . though it may restrict the kind of girl you'd catch. :confused: :friday: :chatup:
So that's why every nun loves a sailor! :)
suora_sexy_3926e.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. X
I just caught wind of this thread and I agree basically with everyone, but I personally would lean more toward learning spanish than french. Take into consideration that most of south america and central america (which includes Walter's neck of the woods rofl ) are spanish as well.

My personal experience is that spanish was very easy for me to learn having grown up in Miami which has a very strong cuban culture. When I tried to learn some basic french before my Paris vacation two years ago, I was amazed at how difficult it was even just trying to pronunciate many french words.

Just my 2 cents :) .

Reactions: trux
True. Really, guys, look a old globe with all the colonial territories on it. With English you get North America, some bits in the Caribbean, India/Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, and Southern Africa. Spanish will get you Central and South America, a bit of North Africa and Spain/Portugal. French will carry you down the West Coast of Africa, into Southeast Asia and across the South Pacific. See? Three languages and you can sail the world. www.rosettastone.com awaits. (and they teach Latin and Greek, too!)

Last edited:
Actually, I'm trying to get that started in our elementary school. I figure that if we take our native Spanish speakers, teach them English during the regular day then add Mandarin after school, the Pacific Rim is their oyster. Let there be trade. Let the money flow . . . in!

island_sands said:
Spanish! you can get by in portugal, andorra and italy if you know spanish
...Or Italian? Several Italian-American colleagues got by remarkably well in Spain, with no prior knowledge of Spanish (at least that's what they told me), on a trip a few years ago. The Spanish made a point of correcting Mexican-Spanish pronounciation though (the Spanish lisp some sounds while the Mexicans apparently don't, somebody reckon it dates back to a Spanish King that lisped). All Latin-based I suppose.

jimdoe2you said:
... I was amazed at how difficult it was even just trying to pronunciate many french words....
...or understand them when the French pronounce them. The way they drop the first letter tends to screw me up ('otels & so on) -- as I tend to use the start of the word to figure out what the word might be.:D

Mandarin takes the biscuit though (can X billion people be wrong?...yes!), on the radio this week a Chinese teacher explain how the same word had 5 different meanings (mother, cow, disagreement,...) at 5 different pitches & went on to illustrate the use of all 5 in a single sentence.rofl Because meaning is tone-dependent, apparently Madarin speakers have perfect pitch. Their pronounciation is accurate to within a half tone. I know a guy who learnt to speak fluent Cantonese but writing Chinese presents a lot of ... "opportunities".:D

(How about Cornish? The last native speaker died a several years ago ... but it is making a big comeback on signs & tourist souveniers.;))

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT