• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What do the cards mean?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MKDVR

May 1, 2005
I know just about nothing when it comes to competition rules. After reading about the Aussie record attempts I'm wondering again what all the different cards mean.:confused:

What Aussie record attempts are you talking about?

Here's the layman's low down on the cards:

White card = ok performance, full points.
Yellow card = ok performance but with penalties
Red card = not ok performance

Penalties can include pulling yourself up at the end of a dynamic, grabbing the rope in a constant weight and a few others. Red card usually means not being able to do the surface protocol correctly, which typically means the athlete was having a samba or a blackout, or their mouth/nose went underwater in the 30 seconds after they'd surfaced.

There are other nuances but that's the jist of it.

Cheers,
Ben

ps. all the rules are found in the document section of AIDA International

What Aussie record attempts are you talking about?

Here's the layman's low down on the cards:

White card = ok performance, full points.
Yellow card = ok performance but with penalties
Red card = not ok performance

Penalties can include pulling yourself up at the end of a dynamic, grabbing the rope in a constant weight and a few others. Red card usually means not being able to do the surface protocol correctly, which typically means the athlete was having a samba or a blackout, or their mouth/nose went underwater in the 30 seconds after they'd surfaced.

There are other nuances but that's the jist of it.

Cheers,
Ben

ps. all the rules are found in the document section of AIDA International

Think it was the David Mullins thread I was reading.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Just the basics.

Ah.... the "other" Aussies (New Zealanders).

Well... you'll be happy to know that an hour ago Dave Mullins, one of the "other" Aussies did 244m and, pending drug testing will have smashed the previous WR by something like 18m.

Go Aussie!

Hi Benny, very impresive !! where do you get that info? is there a website updated?
Sorry ! i've just found the other thread! :)

Last edited:
Ah.... the "other" Aussies (New Zealanders).

Well... you'll be happy to know that an hour ago Dave Mullins, one of the "other" Aussies did 244m and, pending drug testing will have smashed the previous WR by something like 18m.

Go Aussie!

Drug testing? How would drugs help you in freediving? The dynamic swimming portion maybe but don't know of anything that would help your breath hold.

Not much on topic, but drug testing in sports is not necessarily related to drugs that may enhance the performance. Marijuana, for example: if you smoke it, it won't help your atheltic performance at all, but if you're busted from testing you're disqualified. This happens also in spearfishing competitions. I think it's just a sort of sportsmen moral code...

Last edited:
There are a few drugs that will enhance your breath hold. AIDA International uses the WADA drug protocol that is the same for Olympic Games. If a World Record is broken then a WADA drug test must be carried out.

Cheers,
Ben

Ozzies ... always stealing our stuff!! :naughty

It was kiwis all the way! :friday

An Aussie was in charge of that white card though....:ycard

I'm sure there are drugs that would have a significant effect on breathhold, EPO being the obvious one. The drug testing is essential if we want to keep freediving a respected sport, hopefully it becomes more prominent at big comps even when records aren't falling.

...And EPO is although pretty good stuff: can be seen in doping tests only about 2 days and gives benefit (even 20%-30%) in the blood for the weeks (rises dramatically haematocrit). And as we know Aida is not doing any surprise tests at the moment (like in the endurance sports does) so nobody would get caught even using EPO :) Even it would be possible to guess this trick by measuring the Hb in the competitions Aida is not doing that either :friday

- kimmo

Last edited:
Aussies alway claim the kiwis - gee guys why don't you just apply for the passport like all the rest of the wannabes :)

Seriously though it was great to have Walter on board, I'm sure he was filling in NZ residency forms and not AIDA drug test forms on the side of the pool.

We keep offering you back Russell Crowe but you just won't take him!

At the rate Dave is going, he'll be able to do a dynamic across the Tasman soon enough! Of course once he arrives he'll be tired and may need to stay a while :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT