• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What gear to get

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

johnjohn

Feb 10, 2004
Aloha people who like to be under the sea in an octopuses garden.. .. uhm sorry i got distracted. Anyways so I did my taxes last night and I found out I have quite the hefty refund coming, so of course I am going to go blow it on dive equipment. I am a new diver, I got certified about four weeks ago and have 12 dives under my belt, I don't really know how to swim, and until my last dive I was a heavy breather, I still am, but I have slowed my breathing down to double my down time. Anyways so here is what I am thinking of doing. I want to get some gear cause I have this fat refund coming, and I wanted to know what you guys thought or if you think I should get something else instead.

I plan on getting either a atomic aquatics b2 regulator and octo or a dacor viper metal regulator and octo.

As for bc i was thinking weight integrated dacor talon, or an aeris atmos xt or maybe the mare morphos pro.

As for the dive computer I was looking at the uwatec smart com, i know it didn't get the hottest reviews but tha was all like a year ago.

As for fins I was thinkin atomic aquatics split fins. and oceanic neo classic booties.

I already have a mask and snorkel, wetsuit(a shorty), and gloves. allthough i am thinking of a full wetsuit(although now that i have my buoyancy under control, i don't hit the reef as much and i don't get cut up anymore. oh well. i think thats it any other suggestions, i have 16 days before the tax returns come in so

What to Buy

Glad to hear that you are getting a good refund from the gov't. I don't remember what that's like.

Well, I don't really have a answer for you, just some suggestions. I always suggest that new divers try alot of equipment before they buy and decide on what their major dive styles will be.

I am a warm water diver only (kinda), so I bought gear that supports that style. I have the Morphos and I love it, but I would not recommend it for diving doubles, cave diving or tech diving. The BC is really a comfort issue as most BC's are very good. Backpack and Wings (BP/W) gives you the ability to adjust to many different types of diving, but can be expensive.

I would also suggest looking at environmentally sealed reg if you will be doing cold water diving. Buy the best you can with the reg so you do not have to buy again and again. Apeks makes a great reg as does Aqualung. Atomics are good too, so you might want to do a comparison in capabilities and price, by dive styles. I use the Mares Abyss (colder water) and Proton V16 (warm water), because I like the small 2nd stage.

Whatever you decide, best of luck, do your homework and have fun with it. It's the beginning of a new world adventure.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool:

thank you very much. I have been doing a lot of research, reading, talking to people, etc. So I am on my last leg and I figured this would be a good forum to post it up to and see what everyone says, especially people who would not have a financial interest in what i buy. i appreciate every and all comments and or suggestions.

Aloha JohnJohn!
We are neighbors except for the 200 miles of ocean.

On the computer, I suggest the "Smart Pro" instead of the "Smart Com". I tend to stay away from the air intergrated. I've seen far too many divers have air intergrated computer problems. Have a look on eBay for both the Smart Pro and the Smart Com. After last years' recall of these computers there have been many of them up for auction. And they are NEW!!! Brand new replacements from the recall. I purchased 2 Smart Pro's on eBay for under $400 each.

As for the regs of your choice.... always remember to KISS. Keep It Simple and Smart! The less parts, the less likely to have a problem. I suggest buying new for the regs so that you have the best warrantee. And get a mouth piece for the primary reg that you can heat in hot water and mold to your teeth. The name is escaping me. Ask your local dive shop, and bring your credit card, the mouth piece is about $35-$40.

BCD's. Have a look at eBay again. Many people get lots of gear and never use it. Use caution against to much lift. 34 lbs of lift is way more than enough. Mine has 26lbs of lift and this is plenty for diving with a single tank.

My gear set up is as simple as I could get. I have spent far too much money over the years, now I have pared it down to what I really need. My computers are (I dive with 2) the Smart Pro (set to level 5) and the old "Resource" as a back-up. My regs are the Genesis Atlas. Least number of parts, and a good price. My BCD is a custom fit harness and back plate from Jet Harness (Jet is only sold online, at Jetharness.com and on eBay). And Last is my suit. I went custom made here. I got it from "Deep Thought" in Calif. The local free dive shop here in Kona (Blue Water Hunter) is a dealer for Deep Thought.

For the record, I do not have any afiliation with Jet Harness, Deep Thought, or Blue Water Hunter. I like and use their products and that is way I recomend them.

Good luck JohnJohn and happy diving.
Matthew J D'Avella

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT