• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aaron2990

Mar 3, 2016
Hey guys I'm from goa India and iv been diving for muscles and Oyester for some time now
Iv gotten into spearfishing recently with an old pneumatic gun but as it is old I have problems with it
I am planning on buying a new gun band powered speargun it is told to me that I'll need a gun of 75 to 80 in the water I dive in.
What gun will ull recommend i buy that has a good life and easy to use for a beginner accurate cause I'll be asking a Friend to buy it from another country cause guns and parts are not available here in India
I was thinking of buying a Rob allen tuna
Recommendations will be highly valued
Thx you all

Hi Aaron,
Rob Allen Tuna is a good speargun/railgun and well able to deal with large fish. The combination of spear diameter has been chosen to fit that powerful band combination. But 2x16mm bands might be overkill on a 75cm-80cm barreled speargun - you might consider the RA Sparid model which is similar but has 1x16mm & a thinner (but not not thin) 6.6mm spear, it also has a double notch spear & double rubber muzzle, so could be easily upgraded later to other rubber combinations (e.g. 1x19mm, 2x14mm, 2x16mm) but actually 1x16mm bulk rubber is pretty powerful as it is: the RA fixed muzzle is reckoned to have about 10cm more rubber that typical screw in bands, which have a much bigger hollow in the middle (i.e. RAs bulk rubbers have a lot more rubber in them than typical screw-in rubbers).

Re. barrel length - this is probably the most important consideration. What is the visibility like where (& when) you dive, i.e. how far can you see in the water? This will help determine the length of speargun you will need. I would have thought Goa had gin clear tropical waters - but perhaps I am wrong. If the waters are very clear you might consider a longer speargun: 90/100/105/110/115/120cm. If I was going to Goa to spearfish and had no more info. than the images I just looked at on Google, then I would ideally want a 100-115cm speargun for reef fishing from shore and perhaps longer if fishing from a boat (e.g. 110-150cm). Under such conditions, a 100/105cm speargun might be quite reasonable for a beginner.

Some things to consider:
From a weight/hydrodynamics (resistance) perspective/inertia you want as small, slim, light & short a barrel as possible.
For power and range you generally want a long barrel.
For powerful spearguns, you might need some weight & width towards the muzzle resist recoil kick in the vertical plane.
Longer spearguns/stronger rubbers are typically harder to load. Double rubbers take longer to load.

Spearguns are sized by the barrel length, the spear will typically stick out about another 40cm beyond the barrel and the handle, etc. at the back end might add another 10cm to the overall length. Something to consider when shipping or planning to take a speargun on planes.

The Rob Allen railguns lean heavily towards the powerful, heavy, bulky end of the speargun spectrum. It is what I started with but I now use super-light, super-slim Omersub XXVs - because we don't often get huge fish here in the UK and the XXVs should cope with anything I am likely to encounter. There are many options in between.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT