• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is that fish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rémi

Jul 19, 2004
Hello guys
This weekend was my first spearfishing in UK.
I was kite surprised to be honest by the quantity of fishes. It was really nice. :inlove
The think is that I am not yet too familiar with the fishes, except for the sea basses, which I used to fish also in the Mediterranean.
Specially this one. :eek:
If you could give me the name and tell me how to cook it, I would be very pleased :p
I have also done a few underwater pics, after loosing my spear. :waterwork
If you can have a look to those as well, and give me the names:
PHP:
http://gallery.deeperblue.net/showgallery.php?ppuser=3272&cat=500

Thanks

Attachments

• baliste2.jpg
    baliste2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 489
Reactions: Alison
hi Remi,

I met you at the salt free meeting in Chepstow in June, that looks like a trigger fish, where did you shoot it?, I did'nt realise you get them around here in the UK, plenty of them in places like the azores. They are nice to eat, you can cook them any way you want.....

Cheers

Justin

that is a triggerfish. gutted and stuffed with a few herbs on a BBQ is the easiest way

Reactions: Alison
Remi,

Just had a look at your pics.... the first one you wanted the name for is a wrasse and the other looks like a pollock. They are both very common around here but not that great to eat unless you mash them up into curried fish cakes!

I personally dont like triggerfish that much, but i wouldnt mind getting my hands on some of those crabs in the backround.

did someone say "Crabcakes" ???? yuuuuummmmmmiii. damn now im hungry again.

Those are spider crabs right?`
How do you cook them and are they any good?
We saw lots of those in UK. Easy to catch, but we did not know if they were any good for eating so we let them be.

Tuomo

trigger (what you shot) is my one of my favorite fish.
Reason it's a trigger is if you try and pull back the dorsal fin, it will not go down....however if you pull the shorter fin behind it, it acts as a trigger and unlocks the dorsal.

gut them and grill them...I'm surprised it didn't bite you...they are not a very nice fish.

Originally posted by tuomo
Those are spider crabs right?`
How do you cook them and are they any good?
We saw lots of those in UK. Easy to catch, but we did not know if they were any good for eating so we let them be.

Tuomo

Yes, you can eat spider crabs and they are in fact a delicacy in some parts of europe. However, it's bit of a hassle to get the meat from the legs/claws and gearbox. If you do a search there are plenty of recipies on the internet on how to cook them:p

Thanks very much for all the names.
I shot the trigger fish in Wales, near St David's
I already heard about these fishes trying to bite you. However I did not gave him a chance as I shot it between the two eyes.
But that was strange, the head is so hard that the spear was stuck in it and it took me ages to take it off.
About the spider crabs, I think it is the last time I take some, it is too long to break all the legs to get the flesh.

Otherwise, about spear fishing in UK. Do I need a licence? are there some minimum sizes, forbidden fishes, place or practices ?

These oceanic triggers probably come your way by the means of the Gulf Stream. They are a subtropical fish and I don't think they would last too long in your waters. Triggerfish fillet make nice fish sandwiches but they are tricky to fillet.

Angelos

not too hard to filet...

run your knife from the head to the tail just under the skin.

then run the knife just under the skin to across and away from the tail...(like you're filleting the skin from the meat.)

that should leave you a tag end of skin flapping...

Grab that piece and pull it towards the fish's head. The skin is thick so it peels up off of the meat.

then fillet the meat off the bone...

just a hint though.

Originally posted by Rémi
Otherwise, about spear fishing in UK. Do I need a licence? are there some minimum sizes, forbidden fishes, place or practices ?
The fish sizes are the same as general sea angling ones so no problem there but the only one really worth remembering is Bass at 16" 0r 400mm but Ive stuck some sizes below. Its not allowed to shoot salmon or trout, if you get caught taking salmon the water balifs are allowed to impound all gear used to take them! and if you came by car, thats included too, so dont be tempted if you see one ;) There are also some Bass breeding areas that you are not allowed to fish in at certain times of year (unless your a comercial fisherman!! [wheres the sense in that??]) an internet search will turn them up for you.

Dab...................boat 8" shore 8"

Flounder............boat 10" shore 10"

Sole...................boat 10" shore 10"

Plaice.................boat 11" shore 11"

Mullet.................boat 13" shore 13"

Mackeral............boat 12" shore 12"

Pollack................boat 12" shore 12"

Garfish.................boat 15" shore 15"

Coalfish................boat 14" shore 14"

Ballan Wrasse.......boat 9" shore 9"

Bass.....................boat 16" shore 16"

Cod......................boat 14" shore 14"

Poor Cod..............boat 7.25" shore 7.25"

Whiting..................boat 10.6" shore 10.6"

Haddock...............boat 14" shore 12"

L/Spotted Dogfish..boat 18" shore 15"

Bull Huss...............boat 23" shore 23"

Spurdog................boat 23" shore 23"

Smoothhound........boat 20" shore 20"

Rays.....................boat 16" shore 16"

Conger Eel ...........boat 48" shore 36"

Silver Eel...............boat 15" shore 15"

John Dory..............boat 13" shore 10"

Tub Gurnard..........boat 11" shore 11"

Ling.......................boat 28" shore 28"

Rockling................boat 7.25" shore 7.25"

Pouting..................boat 10" shore 7.25"

Red Bream............boat 10" shore 10"

Black Bream..........boat 9.5" shore 9.5"

Brill........................boat 14" shore 14"

Remi,
Here is the recipe should you land another triggerfish:
Ingredients:
tomato sauce
garlic
thyme
scallions (green onions) chopped
bell peppers (chopped)
cellery

Hold the tomato sauce. Place the other vegetables and spices into a pan along with olive oil and cook for 10 minutes.

Sear the fish on each side in olive oil. Do not brown, just sear the flesh slightly

Place the fish and vegetables together in the same pan. Cover with tomato sauce. Simmer for 10-20 minutes.

This recipe is popular in Mexico and the Caribbean
Pesky.

The fish sizes are the same as general sea angling ones so no problem there but the only one really worth remembering is Bass at 16" 0r 400mm but Ive stuck some sizes below. Its not allowed to shoot salmon or trout, if you get caught taking salmon the water balifs are allowed to impound all gear used to take them! and if you came by car, thats included too, so dont be tempted if you see one ;) There are also some Bass breeding areas that you are not allowed to fish in at certain times of year (unless your a comercial fisherman!! [wheres the sense in that??]) an internet search will turn them up for you.

Dab...................boat 8" shore 8"

Flounder............boat 10" shore 10"

Sole...................boat 10" shore 10"

Plaice.................boat 11" shore 11"

Mullet.................boat 13" shore 13"

Mackeral............boat 12" shore 12"

Pollack................boat 12" shore 12"

Garfish.................boat 15" shore 15"

Coalfish................boat 14" shore 14"

Ballan Wrasse.......boat 9" shore 9"

Bass.....................boat 16" shore 16"

Cod......................boat 14" shore 14"

Poor Cod..............boat 7.25" shore 7.25"

Whiting..................boat 10.6" shore 10.6"

Haddock...............boat 14" shore 12"

L/Spotted Dogfish..boat 18" shore 15"

Bull Huss...............boat 23" shore 23"

Spurdog................boat 23" shore 23"

Smoothhound........boat 20" shore 20"

Rays.....................boat 16" shore 16"

Conger Eel ...........boat 48" shore 36"

Silver Eel...............boat 15" shore 15"

John Dory..............boat 13" shore 10"

Tub Gurnard..........boat 11" shore 11"

Ling.......................boat 28" shore 28"

Rockling................boat 7.25" shore 7.25"

Pouting..................boat 10" shore 7.25"

Red Bream............boat 10" shore 10"

Black Bream..........boat 9.5" shore 9.5"

Brill........................boat 14" shore 14"
what about morray eel ??

I've never heard of a Moray Eel being caught in UK waters? Someone prove me wrong. I believe water is too cold here, at the moment anyway.

Salmon/Sea Trout are the only fish you cannot spear in UK waters. As far as I know, everything else is OK (within legal limits).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT