• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is the definition of "PB"?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ncunuclear718

Apr 25, 2005
Sorry, I am a beginner. And I know the Search function.
But "PB" is too short to serach. Please someone tell me, thanks.

Personal Best

It's used rather loosely, keep in mind that as results the following are completely different things in terms of difficulty (considering static):
-A static done on dry land in the comfort of your home
-A static done at a crowded pool
-A static done at competition

That's why you'll sometimes hear people mentioning their "wet pb", "dry pb" or "pb in comp"

Hi,
even though the regualtions are going to change anyway *g* I'd be interested if most people consider an attempt with LMC as PB as well or if the majority doesn't :hmm ?
Veronika

Regardless of what the rules are, if I suffer a samba in a practise situation I consider it a personal failure, ie it doesn't count.

But if a judge at a competition gives it a white card, I won't be complaining ;)

I don't consider it a personal best if I suffer a definite LMC or BO, whether dry or in the pool.

Lucia

A PB has to be totally clean, both in how it feels to me and how it looks to everyone else, otherwise it doesn't count

This is one of the problems I had in mind when the new rules were still in discussion. When (and if, as the votation is not over yet) the new rules are voted, if the athlete follows the surfacing protocol then a performance with a samba will be "valid".

However in my mind, a clean performance has to be done without a samba. That's just my point of view. And I'm affraid that there will be a "backround" discussion about performances done with a samba, like: "Yeah, he won but he had a samba."

But rules are rules and we must respect the votations. That is what democracy is all about. Besides, if there are problems with the new rules, we can change them.

Last edited:
Also, if I blackout or LMC badly during a dry static and I am timing myself, I will probably not remember how long I did, therefore it doesn't count. :blackeye

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT