• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is there in South Western Saskatchewan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Donovan

Dec 9, 2010
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, to diving and to spearfishing. I live in Medicine Hat but, from what I can see, spearfishing in Alberta is not ideal. I like Saskatchewan regulations and I'm spitting distance from the border, so I thought I'd check if there are any good lakes in the bottom left corner. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, to diving and to spearfishing. I live in Medicine Hat but, from what I can see, spearfishing in Alberta is not ideal. I like Saskatchewan regulations and I'm spitting distance from the border, so I thought I'd check if there are any good lakes in the bottom left corner. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, I'm located in Saskatoon. Sask. regulations are definitely some of the most liberal in North America. I'm not very familiar with that part of the province, but your best bet down there would probably be Diefenbaker. I've never been down further than Elbow, but you might have success down at that Sask. Landing area.

Finding lakes in S. Sasky is definitely the challenge. If you are going to make a vacation out of it, definitely try the Meadow Lake Provincial Park. Lots of lakes with clear water...Never been there myself, but I've heard good things.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot this spring.

I have a buddy in Saskatoon. What is there up closer to you?

Welcome to the forum, I'm located in Saskatoon. Sask. regulations are definitely some of the most liberal in North America. I'm not very familiar with that part of the province, but your best bet down there would probably be Diefenbaker. I've never been down further than Elbow, but you might have success down at that Sask. Landing area.

Finding lakes in S. Sasky is definitely the challenge. If you are going to make a vacation out of it, definitely try the Meadow Lake Provincial Park. Lots of lakes with clear water...Never been there myself, but I've heard good things.

Medow Lake area is great if you have a boat, off shore is generally really high current in some areas and vis is only good (2oft approx.) after like 15ft deep. Otherwise it's like 6-10ft vis.

It's a bit of a trek from MedHat, but I would strongly recommend "Last Mountain Lake" in the Qu'appelle valley. They've got the usual prairie lake species plus CARP! I haven't speared there but the fishing is good.

I personally wouldn't bother with Last Mountain Lake, unless you pass by it on the way to somewhere else. I've never speared there, but it is not known for being a good spearfishing lake. While it is a great fishery, I don't think the water quality will typically meet the needs of spearfishing.

While many of the lakes in southern Saskatchewan are great fisheries, the murkiness of the southern waters makes 99% of them useless.

This year will be particularly bad for this lake as it was one of the lakes threatened with flooding. This will make water clarity even worse than the average year.

I personally wouldn't bother with Last Mountain Lake, unless you pass by it on the way to somewhere else. I've never speared there, but it is not known for being a good spearfishing lake. While it is a great fishery, I don't think the water quality will typically meet the needs of spearfishing.

While many of the lakes in southern Saskatchewan are great fisheries, the murkiness of the southern waters makes 99% of them useless.

This year will be particularly bad for this lake as it was one of the lakes threatened with flooding. This will make water clarity even worse than the average year.

You're probably right.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT