• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is with all these crazy spear tips????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

willloomy

May 7, 2008
In all my time spearing in Hawaii i have seen people using only two kinds of spear points a single flopper and slip tips. but after some internet shopping i have noticed many kinds of strange points.

what are these points designed for? and does anyone use them?

Reactions: Lazuli
soft fleshed fish maybe,they have less penetration but better holding capacity,but at a guess do more damage to the flesh

detachable flopper is being used for bigger fish so that it will not bend the shaft when u shoot a fish the fish will be between the tip and the lower circular part and it will be out the shaft. I am not sure about the others...

the first one I used to use for flat fish but as Felipe Felop has mentioned it can make a right mess so head shots are the best

the double floppers I use when hunting pollack, it helps to keep the fish on

the small trident I own one but have never found a practical use for it .

the last long length trident I often see on pole spears and I reckon would be good for hole spearing

Small trident I've used to good effect for flounder and mullet (from aft quartering shot under the scales). The last is a variation on the traditional paralizer. Seen but never used the first three with the black bases. Flopper points are very traditional for medium to larger fish. I've used both types to good effect.

Last edited:
The trident (or 4 pronger, or 5 pronger) in Europe is used mostly for 2 purposes:
1) open shots in murky water when the visibility is very short (multiple tips gives you more chance to hit a fish suddenyly appearing and disappearing in the murk). The donside is that it may split a fish in 2.
2) into holes for reef fish such as sargo bream, gilthead, meagre brown, eels, fish that tend to hole up. If the hole doesn't give enough room for the shaft to pass through the fish, the flopper won't open. This is why we use a trident, that's more catchy even if the shot is unaccurate, or if the penetration is only superficial: no problem with flopper opening or not, as the tips of the trident have a small "teeth" catching up and securing the flesh. Also consider that when you shoot into holes it's often a blind shot: the multiple tips give uyou more chance to hit the target. On eels, a multiprong shot in the head is the only kind of tip that can give a safe hold on the snake.

you spear lobsters??? it's illegal to spear them in Hawaii but that's because you're not allowed to take females.
also i would like to add that we use the paralyzer point on pole spears it's great for shooting anything in holes but i feel that using one on a spear gun would greatly limit a spearo.

The bottom one is I believe known as a spronger. They have no barbs or maybe just micro barbs. The idea is that the 3 tips bend and spread out as they enter the fish. I think it was Ron Taylor who won one of the world spearo championships (in maybe Brazil?) was using a spronger to spear a big Napolean fish (wrasse?).

Anyway, whatever, one of the advantages not mentioned with any multi point head is the paralysing effect on the fish. It's why these multi prongs are oftern known as paralysers. When you shoot a fish with a single tip the spear will often pass through. If no bone or major muscle group is hit then the spear may just make a small hole, often seemingly leaving the fish unaffected. With a multi point the spear will not fully penetrate and the spear will transmit all of its moving kinetic energy into the fishes body. This huge shock can paralyse the fish or even kill it.

I have not had a lot of experience with multi prongs but I can see that they have their uses.

Check out this guy. He spears some BIG bass and cod using a Mact (?) trident head, which can be seen in the link below. Good DVD that one.

http://forums.deeperblue.com/attach...alyzer-tip-used-dvd_christian_andre.jpg?stc=1

Dave.

Last edited:
i think grayman is referring to shelfish not lobsters
lobsters being in the phylum arthropoda and shelfish being in the mollusk phylum

i think grayman is referring to shelfish not lobsters
lobsters being in the phylum arthropoda and shelfish being in the mollusk phylum

So can you spear crabs too?

Spearing something like a limpet just seems bad form anyway. You can hunt them with a hammer!
:martial

G

yeah it would seem silly to spear a bivalve unless it was one of these
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_coXZq05xY]YouTube - Underwater Wierd Clam Swimming[/ame]

The pronged works well on octopus.
A ball of line on a stick is the regarded locally as" unsporting" method
for pulling lobster out of holes. Guess that will be the new pole spear tip.

Cool ... This itouch works at work!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…