• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is your favorite position during a breathe-up?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is your favorite position during breathe-up?

• Face down breathing through the snorkel.

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • On your back holding onto the line.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Sitting on a platform or float.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

JimGlynn

Jan 16, 2002
I was curious about how everyone does their breathe-up. For the most part I am face down but am thinking about exploring other options.
Jim

Last edited:
i usually have rather calm surface conditions, so this is what i prefer:
breathing with the snorkel for some minutes first, then the last 1 or 2 minutes on my back, holding on to the line.
reason is that lying to long on my back i have to make too much of an effort avoiding getting water into my mouth.

roland

Hello!

I assume that you mean breathup in open water. I breathe in my snorkel because it's easier for me to find relaxation that way. I also pack in my snorkel 6-10 packs using my tongue.

My legs and lower body tends to sink when lying on my back therefor I find this solution better. If I had a coach and a floating thing to lean on on the breathup I probably would be lying on my back.

In static I lie on my back breathing. (without snorkel offcourse)

Depends

When the water is cold and I have a heavy suit, I usually lie face-down. Sometimes if I really want to breathe up, I'll lie on my back, pre-equalize and pull myself under w/ the line (i.e. kind of back-flip to head down).

If I'm using a 3-2 warm-water suit (less bouyant), I need a float to keep from sinking like a rock when I exhale -- even though I don't use any weights w/ that suit.

I guess my answer is "all three", so I picked "other"

I find that starting with a 5 minute (or less if the water is particularly cold) facial immersion with no mask or a flooded mask gets the diving reflex going. Once the machinery is working, however, I tend to float on my back because I can relax much more effectively that way. Especially if I have a leaky snorkel like I did today :). Often if I'm not going for a target dive I'll float vertically or at a 45 degree angle (back down) so that I can keep an eye on what is going on and make sure I don't drift too far from the float.

What a disappointment

pkotik,

I would have expected you to pick something obscure and ludicrous from the kama-sutra (possibly w/ a link). You must be distracted by the comp.

Good luck at the open!

I recently switched from face down to lying on my back since I don't need a snorkel and having to spit it out with lungs and mouth packed with air caused me some problems. I'll test this for a while to see how it works. So far it's OK.

Where I dive, I usually lie face down, and lightly hold a piece of Kelp to keep myself in the same point, otherwise I am too concerned about drift etc to relax totally.
I also find that taking a few seconds to set my weight belt in order to be perfectly balanced play a role in helping to cut out all 'outside' distractions.

C-Ya

Jeff

Hi there all you crazy mutts! I am a spear fisherman and catch crayfish etc. I would love to learn from the masters of freediving! Man that would be so good. The conditions myself and Jeff (Bluecape) dive in is so uniqe that we have to addapt to the situation. Dense kelp beds that can be hard to deal with sometimes. Laying face down and getting your back out of the water even pushing down on some floating kelp helps a lot. As long as you are horisontal and get as high on the surface as posable.. Least ammount of water pressure on the torso is best.
Good stuff
www.ratrace.co.za
Beachbum

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT