• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What kind of breathing for CO2 and O2 tables rest/ventilate periods?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mawooshen

Jun 4, 2006
Hey everyone,

I am a complete beginner to freediving and was wondering what kind of breathing I should do during the ventilate/rest periods of the CO2 and O2 training tables.

I tried the CO2 tolerance exercises for the first time the other day and found myself breathing deeply during the rest periods to the extent that the breath hold part got easier and easier as the exercise went on which seemed counter-intuitive...

So my question is, is there a set rhythm to which I should breathe during the rest period? Should I keep the breathing fast/slow/deep/shallow?

Thanks a lot for your help!

hi mawooshen,
try making your exhales twice as long as your inhales ie inhale 5 seconds then try to exhale for 10 seconds.
during the rest just try and catch your breath first then go back to the same routine 5 in 10 out or as long as you can. Maybe try to purse your lips like trying to whistle to slow down your exhale.

I try to do slow deep breaths in the rest periods, after I have got my breath back. If the table is very easy, maybe try a harder one.

Which table is it?

Lucia

mawooshen said:
I tried the CO2 tolerance exercises for the first time the other day and found myself breathing deeply during the rest periods to the extent that the breath hold part got easier and easier as the exercise went on which seemed counter-intuitive

It's the same for me - I also breath deeply and relaxed between breath holds, and the breath holds get easier and easier... except for the last! And sometimes also the one before the last. I do the series of 8 breath holds that is advocated on many threads in this forum, and the 2nd to 5th breath hold are usually comfortable. But if the last one/two are also comfortable, I will suggest like Naiad that you make the whole table a little harder to do the next time.

Thanks for the advice people,

I've been trying the 5 sec in 10 sec out routine. Actually I'm using the nifty piece of software that was featured on this forum so no set table as such. I just found that especially with the CO2 table it was difficult to set a fixed hold time that I could manage on the first loop and wasn't too easy for the rest. I'm giving myself a longer initial intro time now which seems to help.

As an aside I find that once I've finished the exercises have caught my breath and start browsing the net again, I find I have to remind myself to breathe in otherwise I don't! It's as if my body's forgotten I have to breathe!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT