• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What kind of water do you dive in?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What kind of water do you dive the most?

• Sea

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Lake

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Ocean

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Fjord

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quarry

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Pool

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • River

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Spring

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Cave

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Reef

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Tank

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
hi

I dive on the great barrier reef, a place called Wonga beach approx 100km north of cairns.

We have extremly dirty costal water, and someimes but not often clear offshore water.

cheers

I dive in the Black Sea - west coastline - vizibility is lower compared to the Mediterranean. But I love it
:eek:

Sounds a lot better than my regular place, a small lake called 'Maarsseveen'.
30 meters deep and very cold at the bottom :(
but hey..... it's only a 5 minutes ride from where I live

I've spent some days in Cairns last January, went to the outer reefs with Quicksmart, (free)diving there was awesome
Contrast is funny though if you see the huge stretch of mud in front of Cairns.

I spend most of my time diving the Atlantic coast of NC affectionately known as "The Graveyard of the Atlantic." The diving consists mostly of wreck and ledge diving, and some true bluewater diving in the Gulf Stream. In the last week of diving we have come across YF Tuna, Wahoo, Mahi, Billfish, African Pompano(Kagami), Cobia, AJ's, Mackerel, etc. The variety is limitless...however the weather is not cooperating this week.

hi

There is a quicksmart based at Port Douglas, I work on the dive boat Calypso out of Pd.

cheers

Hi
i moustly dive in Slovenian sea.. not much to see there. But when i can i go to Croatia -- they have the moust beautyfull sea in Europ (that is what i have heard ) :D -- lost of sea life clear blue watter and warm too...

Jure

norteast of the us. water is green but this time of year it is ful of nice tropicals. the rain and wellfor the last 5 days turned it into soup
lance

guys and gals... I sometimes wonder if it's fair.. around here (lake diving in Minnesota, north central u.s.) generally 6' (2m) vis is the norm, and less than 1'(<30 cm) vis is not unusual. The water can get dark shallow. I don't know how many times I've stuck my face in the muck at the bottom... 'course, even the worst can clear up for awhile after the ice is come and gone.. but hey, we have lots of friendly fish and in the shallows lots of weeds too.
There is a place or two within 150miles (250km) where 30' (<10m) vis is possible.
Fred

Originally posted by fjohnson
guys and gals... I sometimes wonder if it's fair.. around here (lake diving in Minnesota, north central u.s.) generally 6' (2m) vis is the norm, and less than 1'(<30 cm) vis is not unusual. The water can get dark shallow. I don't know how many times I've stuck my face in the muck at the bottom... 'course, even the worst can clear up for awhile after the ice is come and gone.. but hey, we have lots of friendly fish and in the shallows lots of weeds too.
There is a place or two within 150miles (250km) where 30' (<10m) vis is possible.
Fred
I hear ya brother. I 've got the same problem here in Missouri. Usually you can see your hand in front of your face if you don't go past the six inch mark. There are a few quarries near here (within 100mi) that I need to try though. I hear talk of 20' viz. That's something I've never expierenced before.

Originally posted by Bindlestitch
I hear ya brother. I 've got the same problem here in Missouri. Usually you can see your hand in front of your face if you don't go past the six inch mark. There are a few quarries near here (within 100mi) that I need to try though. I hear talk of 20' viz. That's something I've never expierenced before.

hi

I feel sorry for you to have not experienced vis past 20ft.

:(

cheers

I usually dive a Lake called Lake Lanier about 30 minutes north of Atlanta, Georgia. During the summer the boat traffic is ungoddly.
It's the second busiest lake in the Us, second to lake Tahoe. The summer viz is like 3-6 ft. but the winter it's like 20-25 ft. past 10 ft.
The traffic is basically nothing, a great time to sea kayak and dive.
I have searched out some other great places to dive in the mountains, small spring fed lakes with like 20ft viz, most of the time except after heavy rain. A great place to dive under the ice even in the deep south.

My favorite place to go close by is Lake jocassee in South Carolina. A very beautiful mountain lake, very dive friendly. I always run into atleast 30 to 40 scuba divers at the ramp setting up to dive, along with classes. They have platform at 45 35 and 25 ft. The viz is usualy like 25-35 feet but with all the rain we have been getting it's down to 15-20ft. Most of the diver don't know what to think about freediving, most aren't really friendly when you try to strike up a chat on the surface. I usually get some strange looks when I join them at the 45 foot platform too see what everyone is up to. I usually just get a few waves from cute girl or so.

During my vacation I'm going going to check two other lakes in North Carolina called Lake Fontana and Lake santeetlah

Pelham Quarry is a great place in Alabama to dive aswell. I dive that with Aubie from the forum when we have a chance. I want to check out madison quarry near Huntsville Al. They have a crashed Air force F-4 Phantom jet sunk in 50 feet of water.
Summersville Lake in West Virginia is a really great place to freedive and spearfish

Laxson OUT

How you do this...

:eek:
No worries!
Hit your edit button and delete the extra posts. You'll save the moderator some time.

In my part of the Mediterranean the water can vary from about 20' (7m) to 100' (30m) on a really good day. The average is around 30-40 feet. Water temp is around 10C in the winter and this summer bacause of the heat an unusually "high" 24 degrees centigrade. There are not a whole lot of fish seen as compared to the tropics, (except in the Medes Islands - a nearby natural marine park) but still there are details and unexpected surprises enough to make it enjoyable and interesting. I'll hope to get a flash and macro soon. You can see some of my underwater photos here in the DB gallery and more at my uw site: www.art-centre.com/sea

Adrian

Bladerunner, I know what you mean. We dive in lake Minewanka in banff national park. It's prime scuba training ground. They all neal on top of a building that is part of the original dam that was submerged in about 50ft of water. We have fun either checking them out or continuing past them into the old building (about 60ft down) and cruising around in there.

Most of the divers are bewildered when they see us without air, but some have started to ask questions and express an interest.

The good news is our visibility isn't bad, about 15ft now that the runoff has ended. The bad news is the lake is at 4,800ft of altitude and the water temperature rarely gets above 8 degrees celcius.

I dive in the waters south of Mainland Japan. Island called Okinawa. one of the best dive spots in the world. water is currently 85 F. visibility anywhere from 30ft to 100ft, depending on the weather. Too many fish and sea life to count. I see something different every weekend. :p

Freediving sites in Slovakia

as the Slovakia is an inland country we can dive only in lakes. There are some nice places near our capitol Bratislava, so we dive there. Visibility in shallow lake "Gulaska" (10-14m) is often 10m and more, it is very good, many divers even from neighbouring Czech Republic come dive here because of good visibility and rich uw life.

Our favourite place is lake called Velke Ulany about 50km from the city. Max depth. cca 35m, good for freediving trainings, visibility in depth is much better than on shallow water ...it is about 3-10m.... it is still good for freediving.

Closest lake Velke Kosariska has "muddy" water, it is like a milk ..cannot see nothing, even end of your arm disappears of your sight .....it takes only first 10 depth meters, at depth 30m/90ft the visibility is 3-5m... for freediving around the rope it is good...

The bottom temperatures in lakes are about 7-10°C ..pretty cold, it is impossible to train deep static here

Closest sea is Adriatic Sea in Croatia, 600km from here
Visibility is very good, also the temperature.

Some pics from our trainings www.freediving.sk see in section Gallery

Jaap,

u know what I dive in....but what the h..., try driving up to our lake. Their the visibility is much better and even temperatures are up some degrees (although I don't bother about watertemperatures of 1°C or 30°C). I've been to Maarseveen this weekend but not my kind of water, but way better then Oostvoorne at the moment.....makes me think about Baja (Sea of Cortez) again or the bay of St.Jean cap Ferrat (diving with Loic's team).

By the way hope it starts to freeze quickly so Oostvoorne is worth to dive in again....then also all the 'scuba' is over, only scuba die-hards that keep clear of the bouy-lines we use.

C U and the shore line soon,

Mad Pim:duh

Hi guys. New on deeperblue I dive where I live on the beach in Cape Columbine Nature reserve. Water is cold here but lots of sea life. Viz is usualy poor 1-7 m but we get our fair share of good viz days 7-20m Spearfishing is very good at times March and from a good boat tuna yellowtail snoek etc can be found in uge numbers
Temp range 9-20 deg celcius

Lobster (crayfish) aplenty

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT