• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Knot

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

Guys Im just wondering what is the best knot to rig up some dyneema shooting line onto the shaft and muzzle. The only one I can think of using at the moment is the standard bowline.

What sort of knots do you guys use mainly spear end to attach the dyneema.

cheers

Sorry, know this isn't much help, but I think the bowline is probably your best bet.

hi

Yeah if I cant find any others I will just use a bowline.

In the Rob allen catalog they seem to be using some special knot kinda looks like it is more streamlined.

cheers

I like the perfection loop for the pigtail end of my shaftlines. For tieing to the shaft I use a three turn uni-knot. http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
I tighten them down with pliers and if they don't turn out perfect they get cut off and retied, even if it means starting over with a new length of line. I'm using monofilament and haven't tried these knots in dyneema, but at least the link may be of some help.:)

Reactions: ivan
hi

Thanks mate, that Uni knot is easy to do after reading the instructions but It pulls up tight on itself which is a big no no. I tie my knots to the last hole which needs a loop cos when you push the spear into the mech the knot will get caught unless it has a loop.

cheers

hi

Then again just read the perfection loop and it looks like it'll work.

cheers

A figure eight knot works perfect. It is commonly used for nylon sheathed climbing ropes. It leaves a nice loop as well.

matt

hi

The dyneema is still coming, do you reckon the figure of 8 is okay with dyneema.

cheers

I did perfection loop but it seems the knot is bit bulky for my OMER's muzzle.:hmm

I am using the figure 8 knot on the dyneema that extends from my shock cord. It fits well on the muzzle of my OMER 116. The knot has held up very well on fish up to 80 lbs. It is also pretty streamlined.

matt

I tried both bowline and perfection loop. Both seems same to me they both seems reliable and strong but bowline is less bulky so in my opinion bowline is better for spear.

Step 1

Here is the figure eight:

Step 1: Form a single figure eight in the end of the rope and feed the tail through your harness. Some harnesses require that you feed the rope through certain straps. When tying in, I like to feed rope through the same harness straps that the belay loop occupies (not pictured), others prefer to use the belay loop (as pictured). Still others prefer to tie into a steel locking carabiner, or two aluminium locking carabiners, gates reversed, which have been clipped into the appropriate harness straps. There are pros & cons. Consult your harness manual for the recommended tie in point.

Attachments

• f8follow1s.jpg
    f8follow1s.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 280
Step 2

Steps 2 & 3: Rethread the figure eight, following the same path as the first. Pull the knot tight (though some climbers prefer to leave it a little loose to absorb force from a fall). Make sure you have enough tail, as the knot will slip a bit when loaded. Check the knot by counting "two", "two" & "two", for the three visible doubled strands. Ensure they each are lying flat and not crossing over themselves.

Attachments

• f8follow2s.jpg
    f8follow2s.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 288
That's climbing rope, I just figured it would be easier to see in the pic. With dyneema it is really streamlined.

I agree with Mattedhead. The figure 8 is a nice, trim, streamlined knot, it just looks bulky in the picture because it's tied in climbing rope. Any concerns about the knot slipping when used on a shaftline can be solved with a drop of Super Glue.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT