• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what level of commitment is required

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sims

Jan 8, 2014
I'm just starting out on my journey into the world of freediving, although so far I've only got to the stage of trying dry breath holds to see how wierd it feels and looking for an intro course to book somewhere.

And while there seem to be heaps of information on various training techniques, safety measures and many other things, one thing I haven't been able to get a handle on is how much time commitment is actually required to get to a point where you can perform freediving at a decent recreational level (say for a random point of reference be able to have 60-90s dive times with a little bit of activity at not too much depth).

Is this something that is reasonably achievable given a limited amount of time or should I try and find something else?

Where I'm starting from:
- early 30s
- can swim reasonably well and comfortable in the water
- so-so fitness level (not overweight or hugely unfit, but I don't really work out so I tend to go out of breath quickly when running, which I imagine may be an issue :) but that problem can be resolved with some motivation)
- only limited time for practice during week days (maybe an hour here or there), but 3-5+h over the weekend shouldn't be a problem

I live in a place that has quite a few clubs with pool nights and similar events all the time, so finding people to train with shouldn't be a problem, but anything open water would require a holiday or getting used to the annoyingly cold water in the vicinity.

Just a bit concerned, if it would even be possible to fit in both general aeorobic fitness training that would presumably be required and any freediving specific training in the time I have, so I'm grateful for any pointers.

I think you'll figure all this out after you get in the water. You say Freedive, so it all depends on that tingling feeling you get after you overcome your breath old goal. Doing breatholds on land might elp a little, but you really need to get you face wet, spend an hour diving with a buddy and see how you do. A cheap stop watch will give you a baseline of uderwater breatholds, that you can progres from. The passion you have is only answered by you. Just need to get wet. Start with basic plastic long blades and a simple wetsuit and go from there.

Thanks for your answer and yes I'll definitely give it a try pretty soon when I can find a place and group to do so.

But what I was mainly trying to find out is, is this a sport that requires a continual large amount of training (10-15+h a week for many months) to get anywhere, which no matter how much I may end up liking it, I would not be able to do because of other commitments.

Or is it possible to reach a reasonable level of recreational ability with a more limited amount of training time, even if it may of course take longer to get there?

Often, the "easiest", biggest and most enjoyable gains come from some basic training at the beginning.

CO2 tolerance and learning to relax in the water and at depth.

1:00-1:30 dive times for spearfishing are achievable by anyone in moderate shape, with a bit of training and knowledge about the safety precautions.

2-3hrs a week will be sufficient to get you well down the right path.

Some pool time, some dry holds and some CO2 tables will go a long way initially.

15hrs / week (2-hrs / day) will burn out almost all but the full-time / professional) freedivers.

You can do other activities that will help your freediving (meditation, yoga, UWH, etc), but 2hrs of pure breath holding a day will make you resent the sport in short order.

I've posted a routine for beginners before re: 5 max breath holds first thing in the AM in bed with a 3:00 recovery time, done 5x over 1-1.5 weeks.

Should be a great starter routine for you.

for basic recreational free diving, just larkin about as a hobby all you really need is: a snorkel, mask and (v important) a buddy you trust.....oh and water helps. but the best thing you could do is find some where near you that does a free diving course and book a spot. they're not to expensive and they will take you further than you could go in a week then a year of a few hours here and there on your own.
don't let time hold you back one of the fist things i was told when getting into free diving is take it slowly never rush or push your self and the rewards will come....slowly but they will come.
keep at it bro!

I have A lot of hobbies and every time I get into a new hobby I dive in (no pun intended) with all my energy and time that I have available. Once I am good at it I slow down a little but until then I push myself hard mentally and physically while staying energetic and charismatic about it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT