• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what not to do

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tbgsub

gone fishing / freediving
Dec 19, 2005
Dont shoot into Reef or near reef in high current especially at small fish, but think twice if the fish is sizeable.

I lost an Omer Cobra in high current trying to save my bolt from 60ft, snagged to the coral with the bungie and float attached as a breakaway, and I didnt want to cut it free. Diving in current with the gun under the arm was very difficult (this should have been my first indication to cut the bolt after fastening the gun securely to the float). I panicked and tried to jimmy tie the floatline to the gun to retrieve the spear. needless to say I surfaced to an empty floatline and a seriously sick feeling in my stomach!

(Lesson learned)

I mourned that gun for weeks, including a few bad dreams that kept re occuring to me, so before you all make fun of me, know that I got it.
no shooting deep in high current along the reef. and no diving to retrieve spears without an arm thorugh the rubbers or securing the gun absolutely on the float. I have since worked out a better way of tying to the foatline, but as I mentioned earlier I sort of panicked.

dont panick! Second lesson, focus and think through your dilemma, a solution will come to you.

In closing I have this to say.
"It is better to come home without a gun, than for the gun to come home without its owner!"

tbgsub.

P.S. I bought a new Andre gun if anyone is curious.

Sorry about the gun, happy you're here to tell.
I have no technical advice for you, since I don't understand the concept of the breakaway system (many guys tried to explain, but I still don't get there).

You and me both mate rofl ...
Pitty about your gun bro it happens to the best of us :martial

glad your safe. I didn't get your system too well either, but in currents gun tied to float + diver tied to nothing is a good recipie. Whenever i get too fancy with straps and connects and lanyards something always goes wrong. Simple is great. Safe hunting.

I think i understand what youre talking about ( or at least i'll claim it :) ), sorry about your gun glad you're safe...
Only word of advice is to use the breakaway when blue water hunting, where the fear of being towed is increased, otherwize i find it better just to tie the gun to the float or use a reel... to ascend safely with your gear

yeah sorry bout the gun i know how attached we can get to our equipment lol, and buying a new one of the same make and model just never lives up to the lost one.

But yeah always saftey first.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT