• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What pulls your plug?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What keeps our Deeperblue members high and dry on a good day/nice water temperatures?

• slight head cold

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • low visibility

• torn suit/no suit

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • dangerous marine animals in sight

• no diving buddy

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • boaters/skiers/jetskiers

• shrinkage

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

sinkweight

fat flotilla
Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
What, out of 7 reasons, would you not get in the water for even a moderate dive-session or spearing?

Some of the above:
slight head cold - Actually, almost evrey ilness unless it's a really light dive session and a really light managable ilness and a single oppertunity which means I don't have to preserve myself for future dives. I won't dive that way with no partner though and only if I'm certain I could equalize the whole session.
torn suit/no suit - Depends on temperature. The ideal is warm water and no suit. :)
dangerous marine animals in sight - If it's one of those places famous for their great white sharks and seal colonies...
boaters/skiers/jetskiers + windsurfers, which are deadlier because they don't have noise motors.

Too right, Deep.

For the record, everybody should include windsurfers in the watercraft option. Didn't think of it.

Alright... Here's my top 3...

1. Hangover
2. Acidity in the stomach
3. Jetskiers

Here's a cure for windsurfers - Let them pass between you and the float but right before they do, pul hard on the line! If you carry some equipment on the float, this is usually enough for them to fall in various grotesque ways! Tried that 1-2 times and it works...

Reactions: sinkweight
yeah..i def support the shark idea. I would count Portuguess man-o-wars as dangerous animals but unless there were a lot of them all over the place i wouldnt mind too much.

As for boaters and such..since legally i have to be 1 mile offshore they are never a prob. The biggest boat prob for me is not having one at all... :waterwork

As for vis and wetsuit issues..id prob get in, but if they were that bad then id jump out!!! The water is only cold here in winter anyway.

Last edited:
Hey drunkinbda

Last night (St. Patricks Day) I ended up drunkinbed.

But seriously, explain the whole legality and laws of being 1 mile offshore? are you talking about hunting?

oh yeah..sorry...i wasnt thinkin and assumed thats what everyone was talkin about. yeah, we have to be a mile out to do any spearfishing.

although i think everything stills stands for each category for any sort of diving(hunting, freediving, scuba) although id prob feel a lot more comfortable around dangerous animals if i had scuba on.

as with vis..as long as i can see the surface then im at least somewhat happy. after all my years of diving, being on the bottom and looking up at 50+ ft of water and thinking that this isnt my home environment still puts me in awe.

so the parties good last night? i didnt end up makin it out, although i think tonight might be makin up for it!

Parties were mediocre last night, most of us bar-hopped on Saturday, only cause Dallas had the St. Patrick's Day parade earlier that day. When you dye your hair bright green, you tend to want to stay in the drinkng mood, you know.

Oh and I was in the drinkin' mood alright. My liver was in rare form...oversaturated with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Real Ale Full Moon Harvest amber, Maredsous, Chimay Grand Reserve, Murphy's Stout, Guinness, Guinness Extra Stout (aka Soy Sauce) and many other tasty treats.

Party hardy, farty. Friday's always the best night to whip it good.

I'll be a couple of hours behind you, but I'll be there in spirit. Get on it.

oh i hope that "aka soy sauce" really is just an aka and not the real stuff.. MURPHY's!!! that stuff is well good! no one here in PA(where i am for school) knows about it. haha..ill drink one for ya!!! or two or ten... whats in a number eh?? :friday

Although the parties will be good tonight cause of the college kids..i still cant wait to get home in summer for the real good times :hungover and soem diving... im achin for the water.

i still cant wait to get home in summer for the real good times :hungover and soem diving... im achin for the water.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to hit you up for a couch to crash on there in Bermuda later this summer. I'll bring some good Texas brewnags with me, and I'll cook the meals.

only kidding....unless you really have a couch to sleep on. :blackeye

How about non of the above?

Why isnt that on the list? Thas my choice

Ha ha ha!

Well, this is one of those "which is worse"...so you have to play by the rules...in this case, 81, you'd probably should chose "shrinkage"

hee-hee.

Hey Big D
I actually staked out a bar stool for about 6 hour at the Flying Sauser last night with a few friends!!! Great selection with a 100 beers on tap and another 100 in the bottle. Twas a fine evening!!! A bit cool in the evening as we were drinking on their patio.

hahaha "shrinkage"

Mine is boaters/jetskies. I hate jetskies simply because most people using them have no clue and show no courtesy to others.

Yo Dallas, my second home is the Gingerman over off of Boll St.

They may have close to 100 beers on tap, but I'll be damned if they aren't a better selection. We need to do beer sometime soon.

I'm family there, so you'll be treated well.

I tried a new beer that's 11.5 percent alcohol. Smells horrible, but what price quick fixes, eh?

Most people using them have no clue and show no courtesy to others

I agree with you Merlin.

(Might I say at this point, that I think you've the most mezmerizing, not to mention slightly disturbing avatar, HA HA!)

This is what I don't understand...you have to have a license to operate a hot air balloon, in which its only controls are up and down at the directional mercy of the weather and wind currents...Yet any a$$h@le can chug a gallon of Tequila and hop on a jetski (or a 250 horsepower speedboat with 6 or more people on board for that matter) and go run over a diver, or another a$$h@le in a speedboat or jetski.

Actually that doesn't sound like that bad of an idea...to let all those idiots kill eachother off.

But then there's always going to be more a$$h@les out there born every second.

first of all...let me say about this morning..
..:hungover :hungover :hungover :hungover :hungover lol

OMG yeah..jet skier and boaters SUCK!!!! at least the majority. The hardcore mariners are always good, but the "every other weekend" guys that do it to impress chicks...terrible. We have to deal with them at this beach i lifeguard at and i swear its like they have idea that other people are there swimming...its a shame that those people make what normally is a fun activity(jetskiing/boating) and just turn it into a nuisance..

sinkweight said:
I agree with you Merlin.

(Might I say at this point, that I think you've the most mezmerizing, not to mention slightly disturbing avatar, HA HA!)

This is what I don't understand...you have to have a license to operate a hot air balloon, in which its only controls are up and down at the directional mercy of the weather and wind currents...Yet any a$$h@le can chug a gallon of Tequila and hop on a jetski (or a 250 horsepower speedboat with 6 or more people on board for that matter) and go run over a diver, or another a$$h@le in a speedboat or jetski.

Actually that doesn't sound like that bad of an idea...to let all those idiots kill eachother off.

But then there's always going to be more a$$h@les out there born every second.

I could not agree more. You are required to have a license or permit to scuba in which you are putting only your own life at risk. Yet there is no license or trainning required to operate a jetski or a boat. It makes absolutely no sense.

sinkweight said:

Thank you :p I actually have more disturbing ones but I am trying to "tone it down" a bit rofl

sinkweight said:
any a$$h@le can chug a gallon of Tequila and hop on a jetski (or a 250 horsepower speedboat with 6 or more people on board for that matter) and go run over a diver, or another a$$h@le in a speedboat or jetski.

I think that here you have to have a license for those. Or atleast for a speedboat. I guess the US is more in favor of natural selection then. :)

I think that here you have to have a license for those. Or atleast for a speedboat. I guess the US is more in favor of natural selection then.

I wish boating had some sort of Department of Motor Vehicle thing you had to go through.

That would take the gleam out of any pseudo-hotshot's greasy chest hair having to stand in line for an hour just to fill out a form for him to take some excruciatingly lame test or something that entitles him to take full liability for splitting some divers head open with a counterrotating inboard prop.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT