• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What size gun is a good all rounder?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Janner

Mar 28, 2006
Hiya, im looking at doing some travelling and hopefully a bit of tree work in Australia (probably work in the Sydney/ manly area i would of thought, allot of my friends seemed to like working and living there) next year and was wondering what sort of size gun is a good allrounder for out your way? i was thinking of taking my 1.2 RA caranx reel gun or would this be too big?

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm in Guam, the shop here seems to recommend a 120cm gun as a good all around gun size. I'm new at spear hunting myself, so I'm not in a position to give any advice. But I recently purchased a Rob Allen 1300 Caranx based on my shops recommendation. We have very good visibility here.
Hope it helps.

Take care.
Mitch

Good luck with the tree work. I do tree work and stump grinding myself. Check out arboristsite.com. Same user name.

Regards,
Mitch

Lot of variables man...but if I was tied to a size it would be 100-110 steering more towards a 110 cm 2 bands

120 RA with a single 18-20mm band is a perfect all-round gun down this way. Not many people use reels here, but go with what you're comfortable with. Just make sure you've got something to keep your fish away from you, like a plat to tow around.

Thanks for the advice guys, its appreciated.

Chrismar, yeah its a 120 caranx carbon with a single 18mm rubber and reel, its my first reel gun and i love it. Its mega manouverable underwater with none of the hassle that you get from a float line i.e drag & tangles;) and you can still land big fish with it 50m of dyneema, its an awesome weapon when diving from a boat. My and girlfriend i are just about to sort out places we would like to visit and NZ looks a good candidate so hopefully i'll get to whack some fish up your way aswell :p I think im going to take a decent inflatable float with me for the fish i shoot, theres no chance in hell of me having fish on my belt anywhere in the southern hemisphere.

SinglerM, whats the diving like round Guam? and what sort of trees do you tend to work on over there? i imagine lots of gums and palms. I used to frequent arboristsite.com, treebuzz and masterblasters site allot when i started climbing a couple of years back, but gradually stopped visiting there as my rugby and spearing became more important haha.

Hi Janner,

I'm not doing any tree work here on Guam. I just moved here from Anchorage, Alaska. I was doing tree work and stump grinding there, part time. I'm a machinist and that's what I'm currently doing here on Guam.
The diving is great here, very good visibility. I'm a new spear hunter as well as free diver, so I'm still feeling my way around the reefs which I access from shore, either snorkling out or with a kayak.
I'm looking to go out on a boat next month.
Take care,

Mitch

Hi Janner,

Your 1.2 should be pretty good for almost anywhere I'd think. I have a buddy who uses a 1.2m Tuna so 2 X 16mm and he loves it. I've got a 1m caranx and a 1.3m tuna but haven't got the tuna out yet, I love the caranx! Good idea on the float, if you got a floating float line then tangles wouldn't be too much of a problem. Just get some clear 5mm tubing and put your mono though it and seal the ends, no tangles!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT