• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What stops your static?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is the most relevant to stopping your max static clean?

• I use time as my measure.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I use a count of contractions.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I use the sensation of contractions.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I use other precise sensations in my body.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I use other non-precise sensations in my body.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I am not sure what I use, but so far I still pull up clean sometimes.

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

tylerz

Jun 19, 2002
Ok it is about time we had a thread to share our experiences of what is the state/sign each of us uses to pull up clean on a static?

So if relevant, share what happens leading up to your decision to halt the static and how you go about concluding the static.

Mine:

Currently (and not very accurately), when doing wet statics, I use the fact that near the end of my O2 supplies, I experience a tingling/buzzing in my hands/arms and things get heavier. As well I begin to find it hard to control my throat/lips during contractions. Sometimes my contractions will become very rigid at the very end making my body become very rigid. When I no longer have the ability to focus on controlling the relaxation of my body, I usually associate that with the end arising soon.

When doing dry statics, I notice my vision becoming inconsistent.

After all such points (wet or dry) I usually determine some number of contractions more I intend to do, or some number of 15 second intervals. I go for this and if lucky I picked the correct amount. If I have a very clear-headed day, I continually recheck my mind at periodic intervals and can tell whether it is ok to proceed one more period.

Cheers,

Tyler

I try to detect the subtle changes in my hearing and the small changes in brightness in my vision. it feels to me as if frequencies in my hearing would shift to a higher level in the last 10 to 15 sec of a static before i pull up.

contractions don't bother me too much. i handle them in the center of my abdomen/thorax and they don't influence the peripheral relaxation too much. sounds nice but isn't very helpful in the sense of determinating the right moment to end a static when i have a weak day interpretating my sense organs...

sometimes my safety buddy tells me he was wondering i didn't have any contractions at all. but i had actually - simply slight ones which didn't affect my relaxation to the very end.

yours pat

Reactions: bobbybuttr
I'm talking about dry statics, which are much less comfertable to me. (I didn't have a partner for wet statics, so I can't really answer the question about it).
If I'm in a training period, usally contractions won't make me stop, but some other feeling.
I feel very hot all over my body, especially the upper body, I also feel like there's a huge increase in blood pressure, especially in the head, and I guess my face get red. I'm not sure how to describe it better. This feeling is what makes me stop.
Either I start breathing from a split second of low will power due to this feeling, or that I'm just to worried about the pressure building and I'm affraid I might cause some damage. Does somebody know if it possible?

I can get this feeling also from apnea walking, so I'm pretty sure it's CO2 related.
Never had a weakening of the senses though.

I feel very hot all over my body, especially the upper body, I also feel like there's a huge increase in blood pressure, especially in the head, and I guess my face get red.

Ditto.

I can handle a number of contractions, but when my head starts to get really warm I stop. Since I don't have a buddy to spot me in the pool mine are all dry as well.

Jon

hi

Yeah I too get really hot all over the face but what stops me in a dry static is the weird feeling I get in the last bits of the static as if everything is slowly going black and some sort of a weird Im gonna die feeling. Its hard to explain.

cheers

I get the same feeling sometimes wet or dry. The pressure in the head is less frequent however. I usually associate pressure in the head with lack of relaxation and trying to fight the discomfort. If one relaxes usually pressure goes away and just the other factors take over.

However, this thread is meant to deal with what do we use as our signal to stop a static in anticipation of the end. That is to avoid having a Samba or BO. This means you could have gone further but you choose not to, in order to have a clean static.

I began another thread at: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=42971

to deal with issues with hinderances to proceeding in a static. This previous post by DeepThought is relevant to that.

Cheers,

Tyler

In the last few seconds of a max static, I get an intense, almost pleasant urge to breathe, and I sometimes grip tightly with my hands. This means that I can probably only do a few more seconds.

naiad

So to answer your question more correctly, I never had a b/o, samba or a sign of being near, so I guess I'm in the wrong thread. :)

Tyler
Ever since you asked, I've given this one a lot of thought. In the course of a week, I usually do a CO2 table, an O2 table, 18 short frc warm-ups, one or two hangs at -15M and one max (dry). All of these holds are done by the clock. There is no indicator of a near maximum performance that I can find. Without the clock, my body will tell me to quit at 60-80%. If the goal is too high, I will not realize it until the samba starts. The difference between the very best and very worst days is about 10% on performance, 50% on the comfort level and they do not align.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
I think I mentioned on another thread, about time perception. When I have been in the struggle phase for at least a minute, and it starts becoming easier, and 15 seconds feels like 5, then it is definitely time to come up.

I wonder if the perceived slow-down of my body clock is due to mini-lapses of conciousness, which might explain it.

I have also had the feeling where 15 seconds feels like 5. I found it so disturbing that I usually decided to come up at that point. I also think it is due to mini-lapses of consciousness, so it is probably a good thing that I stopped!

naiad

I regularly have experienced the time lapse and it had nothing to do with getting close to the end of the static. I have had a minute go by that seemed like 15 seconds. Yet this was at 2-3min of a 6-7minute static.

That being said it almost always happens at the end of a static as well. It would be more noticeable for the 15seconds especially if you are receiving taps/time-calls from your buddy every 15 seconds. If you weren't you would probably notice that a whole minute or 45 seconds goes by feeling like 10-20 seconds.

Cheers,

Tyler

It was alarming when I first became aware of 'losing time' and contractions too, but when it happened, I gained almost a minute. As an experiment, to make sure I didn't black out and revive, I held my eyes open and counted the seconds with the watch. That way it feels like the watch speeds up and nothing is missing. In the pool, the 15 second checks work the same way.
Aloha
Bill

Bill, (wow coincedental postings at the same time, the following is regarding your first post)

Yes I imagine there are quite a few amongst us who finish a static from preconceived directives to themselves as opposed to the more subtle of the moment decision.

The most difficult thing I find in a static, is to remember what was the last thought I had that made me stop the static!!! 9 times out of 10 I can not remember. I can work through thoughts leading up to the very end and draw conclusions, telling people confidently why I stopped. But searching for that final thought to answer to myself, I rarely find it precisely.

Cheers,

Tyler

Last edited:
When I get hot and/or get a headache I quit. Not at 5 minutes yet, but up to 70 contractions getting to where I am. Doing negatives first seems to be helpful to me. Great thread. Been lurking for about a year now and just jumping in.

I assume my notice of changes in vision and hearing in the last 15 sec of a static simply comes is induced by an increase in blood pressure - just as well as the discribed symptoms of warmth in your head and headache and pressure in your head.

Sebastian - I miss the measurements of blood pressure in your time-tables! ' would have been interesting. on the other hand: non invasive blood pressure measurements would probably not be too helpful to determine when to stop a static - the duration of measurement is simply too long.

if the hypothesis of increasing blood pressure [ :confused: ] at the end of a static is corroborated our natural sense for symptoms of increased bp could have quite a potential to determine the end of a breathhold...

yours pat

Right now and I m very new to freediving and when i try a static (i think) I hold my breath and look at the second hand on my watch. Right now my average is about one min....but i havnt had any contractions, or black outs...ect. I do these "statics" in Religious Education (its very boring). Am i doing these right...Am i doing statcis at all and should i consider really trying during RE?

I get flashing lights in my head and simply cannot "ride" the contractions any more.

In the last 30 seconds or so, I find I can't relax enough to lie motionless on the surface so I put my feet down and bend from the waist - but that position makes it harded to ride out the contractions so I know once I've done it I don't have long.

If I pull up on the first bit of flashing lights I am ok, if I wait any longer I samba...

If I hyperventilate I don't get the flashes... the lights just go off....

Sam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT