• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What suit do I need?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dick Splash

Mar 12, 2004
Hi :D
I need a new suit soon, I have seen the different types that are available and on the face of it the open cell sounds the best bet for warmth but as I have to get dressed on the sand am I going to get sand in the suit as well if I get wet to put it on? That is going to be uncomfortable, There isnt much of an alternative to getting dressed in the sand unfortunately. Would I be better off with a nylon lining? What do you think? or am I just worrying about nothing?

Hiya

I feel your pain!!! Sand is a pain!! I use a omer ocean mimetic which is an open cell. Using warm soapy water early in the morning is just so nice!!!:D Open cell is definitely the way to go. Much softer material (no more raw area's behind your knees after a long day's spearing!!!), warmer as well. Have heard arguments that open cell's do perish quicker than normal suits, but after 2 years with my omer, i'm happy with its life span so far.

Solutions to sand:
Stand on your towel when you get suited up.
I normally just take the rubber mat out of my 4x4, and simply stand on that when kitting up in the sand.
Only put your bttom part of the suit on and the booties when you're on solid ground. Then simply walk to your dive spot and then get fully kitted up.
Alot of my mates use beach sandals when they're kitted up to walk distances over rocks or through bushes to get to a dive spot. The sandals are then simply tied to your float when you dive, and the procedure repeated on the return trip.

Hope this helps.

Regards
miles

I too am a happy Omer wearer!:) (5mm Reef Mimetic)
Sometimes I put the bottoms on at my house before I drive to the beach. I've put the whole thing on at home too, but it freaks people out when I stop at Starbucks along the way. :confused:
Miles has offered you some good solutions but it seems to me there must be some way to avoid putting on an open cell freediving suit on the sand.

My best one was driving home with the suit on (in a hurry) and then having a blowout. Had to change a tire along the PA turnpike in 90 degree weather, pouring sweat, wearing a wetsuit like it was perfectly normal.

Talk about a freakshow

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT