• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What to use for a breakaway float setup here in Hawaii to target Wahoo, Mahi, Ahi?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lylefk

Apr 3, 2018
Aloha,

Setting up a 140cm KAP Cubera with a slip-tip for bluewater here on Maui and just wanted to get some feedback on the float and line/bungee setup if I could. We'll be targeting Wahoo primarily (and Mahi), and opportunistically perhaps some Yellowfin.

I was all set to order a 75# from Gannet and a 100' bungee, but I'm seeing all these hybrid lines and such and it's gotten me second guessing myself. Does this seem like the way to go?

Or a Smaller 50# float?
Or hybrid line, and if so what length of bungee?
Slim bungee vs regular? Seems like the slimmer the better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lyle

Aloha,

Setting up a 140cm KAP Cubera with a slip-tip for bluewater here on Maui and just wanted to get some feedback on the float and line/bungee setup if I could. We'll be targeting Wahoo primarily (and Mahi), and opportunistically perhaps some Yellowfin.

I was all set to order a 75# from Gannet and a 100' bungee, but I'm seeing all these hybrid lines and such and it's gotten me second guessing myself. Does this seem like the way to go?

Or a Smaller 50# float?
Or hybrid line, and if so what length of bungee?
Slim bungee vs regular? Seems like the slimmer the better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lyle
I own one of Russel's Cubera's here on the BI, but normally run a different gun. Anyway, I have a 100" bungee line from Neptonics cored with 1600 lb spectra attached to a Riffe 3 ATM float. I would think for Mahi and ono's, 75' to 100' would be fine. I have a 50' bungee and sometimes I feel like it's a bit short, especially if I make a deeper drop to place a shot.
I like the look of the Gannet floats, although I haven't tried one. If you're going for Ahi at some point, might be worth just picking up the largest one they carry.

Would be interesting to hear about other people's setups. Mine feels like it's pretty basic, but it's held up so far. 100' can be kind of cumbersome on land, but I'm glad to have the length in the water. I'm not sure what "hybrid" means, but if you're reducing the amount of stretch from a full bungee, I'd prefer to stick with a full bungee line. Especially for the ono since you want the stretch when they make that run.

A few years ago I had the biggest Gannett float but sold it when I decided that hunting SoCal Bluefin was not for my old body. Now have the Ulusub float and it has held up well for three years. I would think it would be plenty big enough for Ono and mahi and its on sale for $150 right now. He claims its good for tuna up to 150#.

In So Cal I use a 125 foot Gannett hybrid line for the kelp, but that's only because we can't use afloat on the rear end and White Sea bass can take all the line even in shallow water by going around, under, up, and back under the kelp. But in open water where I can use a float I use a 50 foot Gannett hybrid line. I'm not going to dive deeper than 50 feet and longer lines are a PIA to get in and out of the boat if you don't need them. Of course if you are going to dive deeper than 50 feet you need a longer line, but will you do that for mahi and Ono?

Reactions: marco15499
Thanks for the feedback! Seems like folks either run a 3atm float and a more forgiving line (ie full bungee) or a 2atm float with a less forgiving line (hybrid). Much to ponder. Heading to our local shop today, we’ll se what they’ve got to say as well.

Lyle

Thanks for the feedback! Seems like folks either run a 3atm float and a more forgiving line (ie full bungee) or a 2atm float with a less forgiving line (hybrid). Much to ponder. Heading to our local shop today, we’ll se what they’ve got to say as well.

Lyle
It’s just how you define it but all the high pressure floats are 2ATM. They inflate to about 25 to 29 psi. The difference in lift is a function of volume- how big they are, not the pressure they pump to.

Here the biggest Gannett - says 2 ATM

Last edited:
I've taken hundreds of wahoos with a "poor boy" set-up :LOL: Just a 100' poly rope and a bullet shaped lobster float. They take it down, but it always surface. Everything for less than 30$... Mahis are way simpler to land. I don't think you can get a decent size tuna with that set-up thoug.

Just remember that the bigger the float, the harder would be to handle it inside and outside the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT