• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What type of bulb?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JPPLAY

Student Spearfisherman
Apr 7, 2005
What type of bulb do you prefer using for dive lights? It seems the two major bulbs for spearos are Xenon and LED since we don't carry a canister on our back for HID. What the difference in performance of them?

I believe Xenon bulbs contain inert Xenon gas, very bright (compared to regular old evacuated torch bulbs). Same principle as modern car head lights & those hot bright little spot/flood lights. LEDs that are bright enough for torches are relatively new. They're Light Emitting Diodes rather than incandescent light bulbs. They are generally more energy efficient (cooler) for a given brightness. I would expect an LED to be physically stronger too -- no thin hot wire in a glass bulb.

It can be hard to compare from torch specs. but looking at the UK mini Q40 specs. last year -- it looked like the Xenon version was still brighter but the LED version used less energy albeit for a somewhat lower brightness. I would think LEDs will probably get brighter & cheaper in the future & eventually take over from bulbs - esp. in torches where burn time/energy use is usually an issue.

For the time being I'm happy to continue using Xenon bulbs but I'd be interested to hear how folk are getting on with their LED torches.

I have a princeston Tec shockwave led and it has been an excellent primary light for freediving. I've yet to replace the batteries and the bulbs last tens of thousands of hours. I believe it runs at least 12 hours on high beam on a set of batteries - 20 on low; which is still pretty bright. My other light has an HID bulb. It's rechargeable and goes 4-5 hours on a charge - it's extremely bright and a little more ergonomic than the shockwave. The bulb has a very long lifespan but is more fragile than the leds - esp when hot. Technically it is twice as bright as the shockwave.
Bank for the buck I'd go with something like the shockwave LED.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…