• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What type of rubbers?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Oh, as for bulk rubber, I bought a selection (& dyneema wishbone making materials) from Spearitco.com, The worlds largest selection of Speargun Bands and Do-It-Yourself Spearfishing Supplies via ebay last season but buying direct from their own site is a bit cheaper.

The prices are/were* very good (except for screw-in adapters which struck me as a bit pricey), shipping costs v. reasonable (from USA to UK). The rubber was very fresh and looks identical to the original equipment & replacement RA bulk rubber that I've used in the past (which is powerful and lasts for years); I suspect it is the same as I've heard that RA source their rubber in the USA.

Actually Dave, I've got the rubber in my freezer at the moment. I can't see a need to replace my rubbers this year, so if you want the 20mm let me know and I will dig it out. I'm favouring smaller sizes currently, so will likely use 16mm next on my guns. Drop me another PM if interested.

*The pound is very weak against the $ at the moment.

Last edited:
The above contributors are right. 20mm bulk rubbers can be a b!tch to load, esp. when new. I now wear an additional loading pad to avoid bruising*. Start with longer rather than shorter rubbers, you can always cut off the worn ends later for more power & longer life (although I doubt you will ever want or need to ).

* Before that, after a week of spearing with fresh 20mm rubbers on my RA90 (no loading butt) my chest, sternum, upper abs and diaphragm area were all black and blue with bruises. I was dreading having to re-load by the end of the week, so I made each shot count!

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

What diameter and length is the sprear on your omer gun?

Yes as said spear is 6.3mm diameter and 125cm long. The Omer XXV Gold 90 is an unusual gun. The barrel is only 25mm diameter (usually 28mm diameter), the spears only 6.3mm diameter (usually 6.5mmdiameter), the spears only 125cm long (usually 130cm long) and the bands are 18mm diameter (usual is 16mm although 18 mm is also used).

So all this means the gun is, compared to a standard euro 90cm, very slim, light, short and powerful. Except, according to standard practice, it shouldn't work, but it does .

I like it.

Dave.

Hey there,
Thanks for all your help with this. I have finally settled on and made 1 x 60cm 20mm band for my 6.5mm spear and 1 x 17.5mm 50cm band for the 6.25 spear. I can now play around and see which I prefer!
Thanks MrX for your offer of 20mm bulk rubber! That is very kind indeed. I will PM you!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…