• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what type of wetsuit should I get?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
DRW,

I like a lot what You do.
You are still freediver according to my definition -
You dive and You are free:)

no great depths required, just optional
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you. I'm happy to be an "honorary" freediver.

I want a silver wetsuit

I agree silver looks sexier, but I also think it's a much safer colour. IMO, if you get separated, it's much easier to find your buddy when they're wearing a silver wetsuit than a black one.

Also, I think a silver hood is much more visible on the surface when boats & such are driving around.

Silver suits can also offer fantastic camouflage as well!
If you look up toward the surface from below the water, all you see is silver.
I have worn silver over-suits for hunting.

You can get a silver suit from Oceaner or from PFI

I've got a 5mm but you might like a 3mm in FLA. It's two piece so you can always undo the beaver tail and drop trou to let farts out, take a wizz, drop a deuce, get your freak on etc.

Silver's pretty nice - though up in our waters it blends in with the greeeeeen.

I've got a silver and blue suit from PFI, it's pretty =0)

I'm still waiting for Oceaner to start making orange suits, though, I'll buy every thickness if they do!

Try this one.

Attachments

• latex-mask-with-zippered-eyes-mouth-h600.jpg
    latex-mask-with-zippered-eyes-mouth-h600.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: nostres
Hi Guys,

Normally I scuba dive but I am interested in taking up spear fishing so I was out snorkelling during the week. I used my 6.5mm semidry and I was absolutely baked in it(water temp around 11 degrees). Additional to that I had to wear 8 kg of weight to get down and even at that I was still like a life jacket. By the end of the snorkel I was out of breath with a sore back. I want to get a wetsuit that will keep me warmish and doesn't require a lot of weight.

Any suggestions.

Last edited:
Most spearos use a weight vest & ankle weights as well as a belt to distribute the weight.
A 5mm close fitting smooth skin interior suit is standard for English waters.

Hi Guys,

Normally I scuba dive but I am interested in taking up spear fishing so I was out snorkelling during the week. I used my 6.5mm semidry and I was absolutely baked in it(water temp around 11 degrees). Additional to that I had to wear 8 kg of weight to get down and even at that I was still like a life jacket. By the end of the snorkel I was out of breath with a sore back. I want to get a wetsuit that will keep me warmish and doesn't require a lot of weight.

Any suggestions.

5mm open cell seems to be the norm around Ireland too, should be considerable less buoyant than the 6.5semi. I just ordered a 5mm a few days ago and I'll let you know, but I've been using a 3mm surfing wetsuit with a 5.5mm separate hood and I've been grand in the water for 2-3hours but have been coming out cold.

a 5mm open cell will feel a real treat after the 3mm surf suit, wait 'till you see how flexible it feels too. use plenty of conditioner or whatever as lube and you'll be squelching around in there. don't forget good socks (booties) and gloves. There are some nice open cell lined socks around that are thin and warm. Thinner socks allow nicer feel of the fins and better kicking.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT