• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats is the 44" mean by mares?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alexanderXP

May 27, 2005
recently i went on amazon, and have seen this thing

a mares cyrano 1100 44" and a just a 1100 cyrano mares

maybe its a printing mistake or something? have a look if you want:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-1725721-0660732"]Amazon.com:[/ame]

And does amazon sell NEW stuff or like ebay (old stuff)!

Alexander,

The 44" means 44 inches, more or less 111 cm long.
So do not worry about it is only the lenght of the speargun in Imperial units instead of metric system.

Cheers

Ivan

www.freedive4life.com

Hey, the Mares cyrano 1100 has a 6,5 mm shaft!Isnt that a BIT TOOO Thin???can you put a 8 mm sharft or soo..??

Alexander,

The internal diameter of the barrel of your gun is 11 mm so the maximun diameter shaft that you could use is a 7 mm.

To use a 8mm shaft you need a pneumatic gun of 13 mm barrel instead of 11 mm.

Where are you located?
What kind of fishing do you practice?

In some places, like Europe there are a lot of people that use the 6.5 mm shafts for small fishes and long shots, using their pneumatics with a Mamba Kit.

But if you are in a different place and fish bigger fishes I will recommend you to change that shaft to a bigger one
(7mm) and use a Tahitian shaft instead of the original that comes with the Speargun.

Cheers

Ivan

www.freedive4life.com

What is a mamba kit? I have the Mares 1100. It is my favorite gun so far, the only problem with it is that the deeper you go the less power it has. I have all types of guns. I am looking for a hawaiian sling that is good right now because that is one that I don't have in my collection and also want to use it for shallow diving. I do shallow diving sometimes and want a strong gun for that, one that is as quick to load as the 1100. Also if you have any ideas about pneumatic guns, which ones do you think are best? I fixed a gun for a man once that had 4 powers and the Mares has only 2. Do you know of any with more than one power? I have a gun that carries 4 spears, a Picasso with 2 spears and 2 Riffes. Also have a Magnum 450 and an AB Biller 38 special that I modified to 50.

The Mamba is system that allows you to load and shoot your pneumatic gun with the internal barrel free of water " Dry". This way the internal piston does not have the grag of the internal column of water, making the speargun more powerfull and the shaft faster. With the Mamba kit you do not have the problem of the loose of power because the external pressure does not affect the gun, now is sealed.

I do not know what you mean with Powers but I use a lot of pneumatics, and it is easy to calculate the lost of pressure I have my guns loaded at 25 Atm or 367 psi. You will lost 1 Atm or 14.69 psi for every 10 meters or 33 ft. So you just need to make the calculation according to the depth that you hunt.

But If you have your gun really well loaded you will need to dive more than 40 meters or 120 ft to appreciate an important lost of power.

I do not know if you are fishing really deep or you use your gun for scuba diving but you must check the internal pressure of your gun first.

Hope it helps, if you need further information, send me a PM.

Cheers

Ivan

Pelizarri uses an airgun when hunting really deep as the pressure of the deep causes the bands to stiffen and the power loss is greater with bands than with compressed air.

;)

Asturven said:
I do not know what you mean with Powers
Ivan
I think baubaugene means the "positions" of cursor in the power regulator of longer airguns, and i answered him in another post (the old Mirage had three "powers", but it's out of production now).

Hi shane! :wave

Spaghetti,

Ahhh You are right!!!!!!

I forgot the power reductor.

Shane did not know, he does not use that thing either!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ivan

Does anyone have a picture of the Mares Mirage? I want one! I looked on an internet search and cannot find it. Also does anyone know about Hawaiian slings?

shaneshac said:
If anyone has a Mares Mirage lying about let me know

I might want it ;)

Well said Shane: Who could say "no" to a Mares Mirage? :hmm

But talking seriously to baubaugene, that gun is an old model of the 80's now out of production, and you need a bit of luck to find it in stores (may be in the cellar of stores). Two friends of mine still use the Mirage, and I found people selling used ones on an italian spearo forum months ago, but it's a difficult research. Believe me: if you want a powerful airgun, check the Mamba, or "mambize" your Sten with the mamba kit.

So the Mambo kit goes right on the Mares 1100 that I have? I looked on the website but still don't understand what you mean by Mambo kit. Is it a gun or an attachment for the gun? And that makes the gun more powerful you say? So you use one then? What do you speardive for?

baubaugene said:
So the Mambo kit goes right on the Mares 1100 that I have? I looked on the website but still don't understand what you mean by Mambo kit. Is it a gun or an attachment for the gun? And that makes the gun more powerful you say? So you use one then? What do you speardive for?

The Mamba is a gun, while the Mamba-kit is a device that you can attach to any other airgun to "mambize" it and thus improve its performance. Both mamba guns and mamba kits are produced by italian company Maorisub.
The concept has been well explained by Ivan: with that device, no water gets into the barrel of the gun. So, when you shoot, the piston doesn't have to make the effort to pull the water, and saves all the energy for a more powerful shot. That's it.

Do any of you have the Mambo kit or gun? I looked at the website, thanks. I like the 130 because it is the biggest. It must have a piston inside that follows the spear out, so that no water gets in and it stays dry, right? The website is in Italian and I just want to know how to spell pay in Italian.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT