• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats the best way to not get stabbed?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Insidethestorm

Jun 3, 2011
I use a spike-on-a-wire stringer when I fish, and it keeps stabbing me in the #$@%!$ leg when I'm swimming. I've heard that some guys keep it attached to their belts on both hips, but I'm not sure how to do this so I dont get spiked by the stringer, or rockfish spines. What works best for you guys?

The tip does not need to be sharp for a stringer. You can grind it down flat and it'll still work perfectly. Run it through a gill and out the mouth and you don't need anything to penetrate the skin. Or you could just hit it with a grinder and make the very tip flat, and still keep that profile for the tip, just not sharp? Does that many any sense ?

Loop at one end, sharp iki jimi/ Kui at the other... loop just has to fit your belt. (the loop will be held in one place by the first weight on the non buckle end) Put the loop over the non buckle end and wrap the mono (presumably) around your weight until you just have the Kui and 3 inches of line or so... then stick the Kui in the loop made when your weight is threaded onto the belt... hope this helps!

...Or just shorten your Kui. Flip it upside down pointy end towards your ribs. Lastly of it is on your hip and doesn't move from there it should be out of the way of your range of motion... a nice Marseilles style rubber weightbelt makes all the difference for me.

Here is one way. Stick it in a piece of band rubber.

Attachments

• weightbelt.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 177
Here is one way. Stick it in a piece of band rubber.

I like that, keeps the fish from dangling around your legs, too, right? I noticed they always seem to get wrapped around my leg, then I get spined, or teeth in my wetsuit. I thought about maybe a carabiner on my other hip to clip the stringer at both ends, but then I get spined again. I'll try the rubber, and then if that doesnt work, SUCK IT UP! =]

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…