• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's the story on hunting octopus?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

guanacaste

Jan 5, 2013
I sometimes come across octopus in the reefs around my town and I absolutely love eating them - but I've never shot one myself. They seem to fall into the "not sporting hunt" category since they just sit in their rock/hole/crevice and disregard human activity almost entirely. However, since they're such good eating I want to put them in my catch bag.

I know they're very smart creatures, and they're beautiful, so I kind of don't want to shoot them but I want to fry them up in butter!

What's the consensus on shooting them: ethically and technically. If ethics are disregarded where does one shoot them to kill them quickly? The head area is large and I'd prefer to dispatch them quickly if ethics say it's ok to hunt them. :duh

Kinda Between the eyes and if you're lucky enough they die. Otherwise you could brutally turn them inside out.

Indeed they r the tastiest food from the ocean me think
There r nada in northern cuba but did c one in the stomach of a grouper.
I have hunted them with a harpoon on the island of Rodrigues at low tide.
They prepare it in the tastiest l hv ever had it they put it in a pot no water nothing cook it till it turns reddish slice it add fresh lemon chop juvenile onions with chopped coriander small green chili add an aromatic oil with a subtle taste of turmeric. Its incredible.

there is a nerve between the eyes, not easy to detect, so better to start practicing... after 2-3 you ll know what to do... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe8WdQanvCM]How to Catch an Octopus - YouTube[/ame]

thanks for the vid, I'll apply that method next time I see one. What suit is that? It looks like the exact one I need for reefs here.

if they are not plentiful in the sea, then it is unethical to kill them! You want them to be EXTINCT? Stick to species that are everywhere and plentiful.

if they are not plentiful in the sea, then it is unethical to kill them! You want them to be EXTINCT? Stick to species that are everywhere and plentiful.

So, since there's no shortage of octopus then no worries. :hmm

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not a marine biologist.

And they're really healthy food to eat: "According to the USDA Nutrient Database (2007), cooked octopus contains about 139 kilocalories (Calories) per three-ounce portion, and is a source of vitamin B3, B12, potassium, phosphorus, and selenium."

If you are going to use your speargun as a camera carrier like the guy in the video, then unlike the guy in the video make sure your gun isn't loaded, that guy's lucky to not kill himself!

If you are going to use your speargun as a camera carrier like the guy in the video, then unlike the guy in the video make sure your gun isn't loaded, that guy's lucky to not kill himself!

+1

I also never get my hands anywhere near the bands once it's loaded, even with the safety on. Same rules apply to rifles/handguns as spearguns.

Dont shoot octopus with your gun, there is absolutely no need for it. Dont see the point in risking a bent shaft.

Ive used these methods and caught literally hundreds and only losing literally 2.

- Approach and snatch it fast when it reach.
- (if inside a small deep hole) unload your gun, remove spear and stab it and leave there. He will eventually be annoyed by the spear and will exit the hole. If you can manage to get a hold of at least one of his arms, grab it and hold tight and yank it but not hard (sorry if this sounds dirty lol). If you pull too hard you might tear off the limb.

Obviously take caution when using your hands, dont try this method if the octopus is big. Octopus are very strong and you dont want him snagging you down there. Also, keep your face away as far as possible, you also dont want him removing your mask underwater.

And for the killing method, stab between the eyes should do it. You will sever the nerve.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Great advice, will be applying this method next time I see one. I like the idea of using the spear unloaded since I only see them in holes and the power of the loaded gun would just blunt the spear.

I didn't consider the issue of having my mask removed by the tentacles but it makes sense.

Glad to help. Just be cautious woth the bigger ones. Let me know how you do when you try the method.

I thought octopi had sharp "beaks" in their mouth that could do serious damage to you.
What about that?

Only been bitten once and it was a pinch. No damage done, but I guess it would be a different story if it were huge.

But I dont leave the octopus on me long enough to bite me.

In Rodrigue its hunted by women, they carry a piece of sturdy wire with a bent end and pull it out of the hole,, they then grab it and turn the head cap inside out it kills it instantly.

Good luck with this i would be interested to see how you go. I had a crack at getting one one day and it ended up holding onto me and i had to get my dive knife and chop a couple of tenticals off. Have fun but please be extra carefull and never try if u dont have a knife handy

Why did u have to cut tentacles? Was it that big it was holding you down?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…