• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's the story on hunting octopus?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

I never dive without a knife. Seems dangerous to go out in the ocean with float lines and spear rigging and all the rest of the awesomeness that we enjoy and not bring a knife.

I'd like to hear more about how you got snagged by the octo -- did you end up killing it or did it escape after the tentacle chopping?

It could be half holed-up in the rocks and half holding onto the diver, connecting him to the bottom.

It could be half holed-up in the rocks and half holding onto the diver, connecting him to the bottom.

that makes sense. what's considered a "big octopus" that could be capable of holding a diver underwater? I've so far only seen ones that have a head the size of a cantaloupe or small watermelon -- tentacles being a couple of feet in length if I had to guess.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_wrestling

Apparently, they can get quite big!!
LOL

In Rodrigue its hunted by women, they carry a piece of sturdy wire with a bent end and pull it out of the hole,, they then grab it and turn the head cap inside out it kills it instantly.

Exactly the same way of dispatching as Korean Sea Women have done for centuries. I have seen it done while taking pics of them off the coast of Jeju Island.
Was instant and seems like a good way.

As a side note, that octopus was then handed to me right there on the spot as a gift.
When the sea woman realized I had no clue what to do with it, she went down again and resurfaced with a few sea urchins, cracked them open and fed me right there. I must have looked hungry.
Gotta be the best day of my (underwater) photography career

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…