• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats to Blame?!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
Whats the best excuse for missing that double figure Bass?

I think I've read "Kelp got caught around the gun in the current".

I'd like to prepare my excuses for next year. I would prefer to blame my tools if possible :t

"I forgot to put the safety off!" That's one most of us have done. Now I just don't use a safety.

Reactions: Mr. X
Excellent!:D

My favourite excuse this year was that the really big fish were just out of range, as I've been using my new little 75cm. However, if you lay out a 75 & 90cm gun with the spearline out, the ranges are surprisingly close. In my defense, I would say that I must believe this excuse myself to the extent that I actually did not even try a shot at the largest fish I've seen in the sea on the basis that, although cruising slowly past, it was just out of range (I revisit that decision quite a lot!).

Prior to that my favourite excuse was that the spear bounced off the fish, hitting on or near the gill cover. Happen twice on v. large fish, the last was the largest mullet (by far) that I've seen.

For smaller fish, I generally concede that I just missed!

Size isn't everything (as the actress said to the bishop), I got a real kick out of spearing two high-speed mackeral this year.

Last edited:
I like using "my rubbers must be too short" and "the water is too clear". Even better is "the fish was that big that I thought it was much closer".

Reactions: Mr. X
I shot at a 40lb kingfish and the spear apparently was dull so it hit him perfectly behind the eyes and bounced off his thick skull..knocked him out cold for a second then he rolled over and darted out of sight...was a sad day.
so an excuse could be a dull spear...:head

i loved (and hated) this one:
- i shoot my biggest ever grouper (called a "vieja" here) about 9Kgs
- its a okish hit in the area just above the stomach, it bolts to the back of its cave, then around the back of a large rock at the caves mouth
- third dive to try and extract it, the fish is on my left, the rock in the middle, the spear and line to my right.
- instead of grabbing the fish and pulling it out of the cave (I was scared of its big snaggly mouth) i pull the spear
- (slow motion bit) the flopper had closed (badly adjusted) and I am left with the spear in my hand
- the fish is still and does not realize it's free. I'm looking at the spear in my hand
-(even slower motion) I try to put the spear back in to the fish - IT BOLTS:waterwork

never to be seen again (and probably dies)

sad, but it happened. I adjust my floppers every dive now..

BLAME: Flopper

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT