• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats with Seal Clubbing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

crusty

Aquatic Soul
Jan 20, 2005
Im in Perth - Australia and on the front of the morning paper was a photo of two people clubbing baby seals to death on blood coverd ice for there pelts in Canada
Why is this still happening the papers say that part of the country is poor and it is a necessary part of there income is this true.
If it is neceassary is it done in a controlled manner and why clubs there must be a more humane way of doing it.
If its not necessary what are the Green groups and others doing to stop it. If people stop buying the products made out of Pelts then the killing would stop.
Im a long way from Canada but i cant see how this can still be happening
I for one would love to see it stopped

Crusty

To whom it may concern:

I own three separate companies that manufacture clubs, two of them which yield high output of clubs specifically created to club baby seals. I am concerned when I read such empathic denunciations. This talk of "humane ways", and "controlled manners" is the same rhetoric that has slowly tarnished the proud tradition of bashing pinniped. I would not be the wealthy owner of three, pelt-upholstered SUV's without the steady income that derives from this time-honored undertaking. Perhaps there's not enough information about seal/baby seal-clubbing that reaches inordinately horrified onlookers and opponents of a relatively innocent function.

Take for instance:

1. Seals are inherently evil, and wish nothing more than to deplete the oceans of delicious fish and defensless penguins.

2. Baby seals do not possess a death-bite like most wild predatory creatures do. They eat their prey alive, indifferent to the plaintive cries of their victims (which include kittens, hamsters, baby ducks, and teacup chihuahuas).

3. Seals spend a trivial existence bathing in the sun, not to mention fornicating on public beaches. Only .05% of all seals are actually employed (all of those working in showbusiness of some fashion). Seals are non-productive and have nothing to contribute to society, besides their sensuous pelts.

4. According to the latest studies, obesity has become a burden on our healthcare systems, what with rising costs of fighting avoidable heart diseases. Humans, whose fat content reaches and/or exceeds 25% are considered obese. In this thought, exterminating gluttonous, distended seals (whose fat content typically exceeds these alarming amounts) there is no chance that they will bog down our already expensive healthcare.

5. The Caribbean monk seal is now extinct, thanks to the help of the Canadian embassy in the Antilles. Now, with the threat of a massive, short range seal attack from the southeast dissipated, Americans can now refocus on the impending dangers of communist Cuba.

6. Liberal television programs, that are relentlessly overplayed on such left wing media platforms as Public Broadcasting Services (PBS), Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, Animal Planet and the like, never show the unasthetic side of the lives of seals. Seals defecate and urinate in our oceans everyday. They also deface our beaches with a number of various excretions. They are easily considered a main source of water polution and a threat to delicate coastal ecology.

I advise you, and other terribly misguided people, to learn more about the history, heritage and responsbility of seal/baby seal clubbing before demurring the good inentions of second, sometimes third-generation clubbers.

Respectfully,

Billy Cudgel
TruncheonCo.
Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
Welcome to Perth Crusty
I hope you are enjoying yourself, sorry about the weather.
Poida

crusty said:
Im a long way from Canada but i cant see how this can still be happening
I for one would love to see it stopped
Crusty

Does anything die so that you can live? It does.

What's the difference between seal-clubbing and an angler pulling a fish up by a hook in it's throat then either clubbing it or letting it die slowly in a cooler? The seal died fast, the fish didn't. Why aren't you complaining about fishing?
There's no difference, it's only that seals look like humans....big eyes, soft wet noses, etc. We naturally feel more for the seal since it has a face we associate with at a primal level and it is 'cute'. I believe the word is 'anthropomorphise'.
I have a hard time watching seals get killed or anything for that matter, but things have been dying violently since eternity, and that wont change. There was a video out there a while ago of seals slowly ripping apart a giant sunfish...not pleasant to watch, but sinkweight's joke has some truth to it. What about Orca's killing whales and eating only the tongues? Or Orca's clubbing seals with their tales, enough to stun them and bring them to the young Orca to teach it how to kill? It goes on and on.
I know we don't eat seals (some do in Canada) and these seals are harvested for their fur, but more than likely you are wearing something or have something in your possession that is made from and animal or it's by-product.

Generally the seal hunt is monitored and the seals are killed fast. I don't see the actual problem with it. Uncomfortable to watch, yes. Ban it, no. :ban
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Erik said:
Does anything die so that you can live? It does.

What's the difference between seal-clubbing and an angler pulling a fish up by a hook in it's throat then either clubbing it or letting it die slowly in a cooler? The seal died fast, the fish didn't. Why aren't you complaining about fishing?
There's no difference, it's only that seals look like humans....big eyes, soft wet noses, etc. We naturally feel more for the seal since it has a face we associate with at a primal level and it is 'cute'. I believe the word is 'anthropomorphise'.
I have a hard time watching seals get killed or anything for that matter, but things have been dying violently since eternity, and that wont change. There was a video out there a while ago of seals slowly ripping apart a giant sunfish...not pleasant to watch, but sinkweight's joke has some truth to it. What about Orca's killing whales and eating only the tongues? Or Orca's clubbing seals with their tales, enough to stun them and bring them to the young Orca to teach it how to kill? It goes on and on.
I know we don't eat seals (some do in Canada) and these seals are harvested for their fur, but more than likely you are wearing something or have something in your possession that is made from and animal or it's by-product.

Generally the seal hunt is monitored and the seals are killed fast. I don't see the actual problem with it. Uncomfortable to watch, yes. Ban it, no. :ban
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I absolutely agree with you. You took the words out of my mouth.

Reactions: Erik
I agree with Erik for the most part.

People are going to use animal furs for a long time after we're gone. Animals are inherently ruthless to others. Seals are cute. It's tough to see a cute animal killed, if not for its fur, than by other animals for food. Who doesn't feel a little sad when a baby water buffalo gets eaten alive by spotted hyenas on a nature show? The fact is that almost everything we do, unless you live in a 100% vegan commune, affects some kind of animal negatively. Hell, the only reason why cows and chickens still exist is because we keep them alive to eat their excretory products (eggs, milk) and then kill them to eat them and use their hides/feathers for various applications. The only other animal I can think of that does this to other animals is the ant/aphid relationship, really.

I do disagree with the whole clubbing thing, though. We've gotten much better at killing animals, at least to the point where you don't have to take repeated whacks at braincases. Though it is simple and all to billy-club something, it seems like there is a better answer.

In fact I think I have it. It's my new patent-pending Depelter-vac 2050! It's only months away from prototype phase. I just need to find some way to power it with the innards of baby seals.

Attachments

• Depeltervac2050.jpg
    Depeltervac2050.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
sinkweight said:
In fact I think I have it. It's my new patent-pending Depelter-vac 2050! It's only months away from prototype phase. I just need to find some way to power it with the innards of baby seals.
hahaha nice!

its also a cultural thing. To be disgusted by it is ok, to be ashamed of it is ok, to choose not to support it is ok, but to think your values have any relevance in their culture is simple ethnocentrism and is not ok:)

Bet those natives think that our enormous burden on the natural resources of the planet is horrible but I dont see us listening to them.....

Reactions: sinkweight and Erik
rigdvr said:
Bet those natives think that our enormous burden on the natural resources of the planet is horrible but I dont see us listening to them.....
I think we should. :)
This planet is in dire situation.

Anyway, they are using clubs to maximize profits. Does anybody knows if the clubbing results in instant death/KO?
Would it be that much different if they'll use the methods used on cattle?

I do think that in a better civilization we won't have to obtain fur in this way.

There's a rather uneducational webpage here: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/bryanbaskin/clubbing.html

The webpage's email responses being funnier than the main page however. None of which are quite amusing as Sink's contraption and wonderful letter above.

However, all joking aside, it does appear that the death isn't particularly humane. But, frankly, neither are the deaths of pigs. Cows have it pretty good, for the most part. Goose, however, can have it pretty bad. And, unfortunately for goose, I love foie gras.

But seal clubbing seems to bring out the best in everyone? I think of the email I just read in which a wish was expressed that the webpage's owner (also from Texas, Sink - a friend perhaps?), and his entire family, were clubbed to death. Charming. I love it when animal right's activists protect every animal in the world with the exception of humans.

I think that Jon Lovitz dealt with this subject in SNL, as Frenchy...

Okay, sorry for the rambling, no-point post... end of the day and all that...

Reactions: Erik
I think it's the Canucks own business.
It's their fishery and they can do what they like.
People only get upset because the Pictures make great "media" blood on snow and that kind of thing.
Plenty of other animals face extinction before we run out of seals, but maybe they aren't as media friendly.

the only reason they use a club is because a bullethole destroys the pelt. the club is swift and final. I doubt any of them feal pain. their cute little faces with their Big black eyes make them a fantastic media tool for left wing terrorists like PETA. If some of the radical hippy activists spent anytime in a generic slaugher house they wouldn;t complain so much about a few dead seals. come to canada, we have seals like New york has pigeons. the hunt is strictly regulated by Government biologists (just like all legal hunting in canada). Seals aren;t going to disappear any time soon.

Humane?

I've never really understood how death of any kind is "humane." When a farmer brings out his rifle to kill pigs or cows for slaughter, he makes sure he approaches from downwind and keeps the gun hidden because those animals KNOW what's coming. They can smell it. A gunshot, a clubd or a butter knife all still result in death. Death is not humane. Death is death.

The concept of a "more humane death" is flawed: How do we know that an untimely and violent death is not a horrible thing to experience, even if it comes from a single shot? :rcard

Killing things for sustenance is a fact of life. Plants have feelings, too, some will argue. But when we start to go beyond the basic sustenance needs and kill for instant gratification hamburgers, seal-skin jackets or upholstery or VIAGARA-like sexual aids, then it gets ugly.

I believe Ghandi said that the respect for human rights of a particular society can be inferred by how that society treats its animals. If someone finds that quote, let me know.

Pete

Reactions: DeepThought
Its good to be have a laugh and be Educated as well.
As most things you read in the press you only get one side of the story
Im clad i got honest answers from people who live there not redical green groups.
So Dont belive the things you read about Australians and sheep, they make great little bed warmers on those cold lonely winter nights.
We have a similar problem with our live sheep trade. we send sheep to the middle East to be slaughtered according to their religious belifes but because a few die on the way ( help to feed the sharks ) the Greenies want to ban the whole thing, which takes millions out if the economy and will put allot of farmers on the street.
Where do the Ferral Greenies think their Dole ( welfare ) cheques comes from any way
There is a Radical green group in USA think its PETA who are behind the push but i bet they all own a pair of Ugg Boots which an Amercian company bought the rights to so our manufactures cant even call them Ugg boots because it now been copyrighted.
Winter is getting close and its raining wish i had one of those Canadian Seal/sheep skin hats the fold down over your Ears to keep my nut warm now
Crusty

Hey Poida
Hows the Mullet
Your close we should go on a killing spree some time, just got a new 1.2
Edge and dying to try it out as soon as this shity weather clears.
Bring back Summer

Crusty

crusty said:
We have a similar problem with our live sheep trade. we send sheep to the middle East to be slaughtered according to their religious belifes but because a few die on the way ( help to feed the sharks ) the Greenies want to ban the whole thing, which takes millions out if the economy and will put allot of farmers on the street.
I know Israel is one of those countries. I think it's a sad story that they are cramming sheeps in cages to the point they can die and not fall in the floor with barely/no food/water for a long sea voyage in extremely high temperatures (they are on the deck), those who die on the way are the lcuky ones, the others get in a pretty miserable shape.
I don't think that the import/export should stop, I think that OZ should export the meat itself. It is a fine example of unnecessary suffering being done from religious reasons.
And ofcoruse more resources are spent that way but who cares about resources, they grow on trees.

Sorry, but the sheep arnt transported that way.
The ships are multi million dollar, state of the art, Multi story fully vented and air conditioned. The Sheep arnt kept on the open deck and are very well looked after. They have a vet and a member from the RSPCA on board at all times
If they get to the port in bad condition the exporters dont get good money for them so it is in there best interest to have them arrive in good condition.
The export of live sheep is a big part of the Rural and Transport ecomony so all is done to keep everybody happy including the Greenies. and sheep
It is not Cruel they may loose 1% in transport but when you are exporting 100 of thousands you will always ket some that cark it.
Dont belive everything you see in the Press

Crusty

I don't think Sinkweight should joke about seal clubbing.
I think seal clubbing is bad because seals should not be allowed to go clubbing until they are old enough.
I don't think that seals should be drinking alcohol and dancing all night anyway. It's just another example of human influence on nature.

Reactions: rigdvr
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT