• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's your gender?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's your gender?

• Male

Votes: 76 82.6%
  • Female

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

jvoets

Sep 4, 2001
Looks like a lot of freedivers are males.
I'm curious to know what percentage of freedivers are female

Not such an easy question for you folks in Vegas, is it?

If this pole is any reflection of the true numbers (90/10? - 80/20?), then there seems to be a disproportionately large number of female freediving celebrities :hmm. Or perhaps, women simply have less of a penchant for internet forums :eek: . Or worse yet, maybe there are more female celebrities because women are better divers than men :head. No, that can't be it :t.

Speak up ladies. Where you at?

Ted

*All in good fun - Always :). This thread has been begging for someone to spike the punch ;).

Maybe we men like to brag about our amazing deep dives to 20m on the internet while the women are out there in the waters, hitting the bottom at 50+ meters and don't have any time to share that with us.

Reactions: donmoore
"Not such an easy question for you folks in Vegas, is it?
If this pole is any reflection of the true numbers (90/10? - 80/20?), then there seems to be a disproportionately large number of female freediving celebrities . Or perhaps, women simply have less of a penchant for internet forums . Or worse yet, maybe there are more female celebrities because women are better divers than men . No, that can't be it .
Speak up ladies. Where you at?
Ted *All in good fun - Always . This thread has been begging for someone to spike the punch."

We're here. You just can't see us in the kelp.....

the women are out there diving... the weather's far too good to waste time on here!

sam
(female)

GENDER ?

I'm so sad that contemporary English usage seems to allow one to use "gender" as a synonym for "sex".

The sexes are male and female. Genders are masculine and feminine.

There can be feminine males, whose sex is male but are nevertheless feminine. Masculine females are not unheard of either.

So, in reply: my sex is male. My gender is masculine, or so I've been told by at least one appreciative feminine female !

It's interesting how English usage drifts. There used to be an expression: " I couldn't care less." which many people now have warped into " I could care less", which, of course, has exactly the opposite meaning the original did, but which is used, nevertheless, as its equivalent.

The living language.....

Reactions: donmoore
oh...you articulate son of a gun...

Originally posted by Paul Kotik
There can be feminine males, whose sex is male but are nevertheless feminine.

The first step in recovery is realizing your problem, Paul. That's very manly of you. rofl

Re: GENDER ?

Originally posted by Paul Kotik
I'm so sad that contemporary English usage seems to allow one to use "gender" as a synonym for "sex".
The living language.....

I am sorry to say I think you are losing the battle. Maybe this is demonstrated by the fact that even dictionaries such as http://www.dictionary.com, are against you, as the quote below implies.

"2. Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

3 a. The condition of being female or male; sex.
b. Females or males considered as a group: expressions used by one gender.

Usage Note: Traditionally, gender has been used primarily to refer to the grammatical categories of “masculine,” “feminine,” and “neuter,” but in recent years the word... "

Oh well what can one do... Albeit this is how almost ALL of our words have formed. So most words you choose, technically you can say it is inappropriate use, compared to another time period.

So while you are into lingvistics could you find some new usefull or alternative words for the following expressions:

Static
Dymnamic
Constant weight
Free imersion
Variable

Sebastian/Sweden

alternative words for the following expressions:

Static - inept-hibernation
Dymnamic - hypocrit (why swim just below the surface where it is difficult to breath? if your so dynamic wouldn't you swim and breath at the surface?)
Constant weight - faith (What goes down... hopefully comes up!)
Free imersion - homo-submersivious
Variable - yikes

:confused:

I COULD CARE LESS......

Like, whatever.

I'm on the road and don't have my bookshelf with me - does anybody know if real dictionaries like OED reflect the currently fashionable substitutability of 'gender' for 'sex' ?

And more to the point, can anybody tell me WHY one would use 'gender' instead of 'sex' ? That's what really baffles me !

I am fairly certain that would be due to the fact that the word "gender" sounds more formal and less provoking/controversial than "sex", even though it would take a different context for it to be associated with that. Merely the use of the term "sex" has a heightened ability to provoke imagery/distractions that are irrelevant to the context.

Whether we like it or not from a literary standpoint, you can quite easily imagine the amount of discomfort the word "sex" has caused for a large amount of people on our planet, thereby being my idea for why "gender" became fashionable.

Last edited:
Whatever the labels, I am pleased and surprized to see numbers as high as 10 percent, wish it was 50/50. Keep on coming ladies, (or should it be "humans of the female gender? (female sex?)" You pick the polite term.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT