• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

When can a diver walk on water???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
January in Wisconsin....that's when. Here's the view out my window folks....:( . It's -12 degrees Celcius here. I wish Canada would stop sending us their wind ;). Just thought I would share my grief with the forum as part of my therapy. Thanks for looking. Hope yours is still liquid. Enjoying the summer Aussie divers??? :vangry :D :eek:

Last edited:
Originally posted by unirdna
I wish Canada would stop sending us their wind.

and i wish the US would stop sending us their acid rain and greenhouse gasses...

its only -5 here, but the water is solid anyways

:D

Reactions: unirdna
It's sad to think that we were just diving there a week or two ago.:(

It's so cold here right now that one of the teachers I work with froze their lips to their metal whistle at recess today.
:head rofl

Jon

Re: Re: When can a diver walk on water???

Originally posted by thin_air

and i wish the US would stop sending us their acid rain and greenhouse gasses...

:D

Touche thin :hmm :D

I'll work on the politicians to bear down on the coal power-plants if you work on your entertainment industry to stop sending Bryan Adamses and Pamela Andersons. rofl

Re: Re: Re: When can a diver walk on water???

Originally posted by unirdna

Touche thin :hmm :D

I'll work on the politicians to bear down on the coal power-plants if you work on your entertainment industry to stop sending Bryan Adamses and Pamela Andersons. rofl

i didnt know pamela anderson was canadian...:D
as for bryan adams, we canadians are trying to get rid of him, maybe we should try britian rofl

;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: When can a diver walk on water???

Originally posted by thin_air

i didnt know pamela anderson was canadian...:D
;)

Well......some of her was made in Canada, and some was made in the States ;).

Boy did we get off the subject quickly....:duh

hi

Dont worry dude, this summer in Oz has been pretty ordinary this year, the ocean is only at 28-29degrees celcius compared to 33 degrees C last year. And believe me its quite a difference. This summer I have to use my 3mm, last year no wetsuit just Boardies.

cheers

Please don't send Brian Adams here

You may not know it, but Brian Adams was the culprit of the worst musical crime in Britain ever - his single 'everything I do' stayed at No. 1 in our charts for 16 weeks.

Send him to Japan - they'll love him.

Reactions: Alun
hmm... you seem to know rather a lot about Bryan Adams, Ben.... i bet you have the complete discography stashed away at home :)

-12oC.... that is quite... fresh. the water is a positively tropical 5oC here right now. luckily, lakes rarely freeze over, so we have no excuse not to go freediving! :D

something like 15-20oC all year round would be perfect for me. personally, i would find temperatures of 28oC too hot, because i'm adapted to cold water.

as for 33oC.... i'd be sweating cobs!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ivan
> Maybe India or Bangladesh?

What are you guys trying to do, starting a new world war? Dont send him to any country that has nuclear missiles that they can send in return. :naughty

hi Alun

I have extreme respect for your ability to even say that 15-20 would be perfect, I think my fingers would freeze together at that temp.

cheers

well, i have equal respect for you being able to dive in such hot waters!! :eek:

15-20oC is the summer water temperature here. in effect, i'm just saying that i wished it was like summer all year round. you have to remember, i dont know any different.

just like Eskimos think a -5oC air temperature is warm and you guys from Oz probably think 25oC air temperature is quite cool.... it's all down to what you're used to.

if you lived here and this was all you ever knew, you would think nothing of diving <10oC.... trust me!

Agreed Alun! It's quite interesting to hear how one person's 'cold' is another's 'tepid'. The skin of both these divers is undoubtedly feeling and reacting to the same temp, but the brain interprets the comfort of that temp very differently. Pretty fascinating when you think about it.

Ivan,

33C!!! That's the temp I take my tea :). Here in Wisconsin, Jon and I prefer to use 3mm suits for diving water as cold as 10 C and 5mm suits for temps below that. We've both used 7mm, but that turns out to be too bulky. We prefer the mobility of the 5mm suits to the (minimal) added warmth of a couple extra mm. When the dive is over, it's always the hands and feet that gave out first anyway.

Thanks for the words of inspiration :cool: .

Ted

Interestingly - I used to dive in a 5mm in the winter here in Scotland. I don't notice much of a difference between that and a 7mm - but you do notcie the difference in mobility.

I suppose the difference between 5 and 7 is less than the difference between well sealed from not so well sealed wrist and ankle cuffs?

I would wear a suit with a bad face seal anymore. Most distasteful!

:naughty

My old 5mm suit was colder because it didn't have the really nice ankle and wrist seals that my new Cressi super-comp does.
I am sure if I would have spent the cash on a 5mm Picasso I would still be just as wamr as my 6.5mm super comp.
My old suit was also only a waist high pant and not a
farmer-John.
It was still warm enough for ice freedivign last winter, but my new suit is much warmer.

The main thing that freezes on us are our hands and feet. We both just picked up some Picasso 3-finger mitts to help the hands and some OMER 5mm socks to help out with the feet.

If you have a bad face seal on your suit you should check into an Icecap. Your mask seals to the outside of them and they have small slits cut into the sides of it ear clearing. You might have to trim the mouth area a little bit to get your snorkel to popo in and out easily.

Last time we were out the water was 4 degrees (C).

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: samdive
OK, just one question for all you frozen H2O divers. WHY?:confused: I guess I could go for cold water to shoot fish- maybe. But breaking ice to freedive, I'm shivering just thinking about it.
Oh yea, Jon. You don't happen to know a girl up there named Tammy E. that owns a dive shop? I dove w/ here on the Monitor a couple of years ago.
Jay

We dive it because it's there. :D ;)

Jon

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT